LegacyGT.com

Airbag light help

I3eXa

Let my wife drive my wagon yesterday and when I got in it this morning the airbag light is staying on. Not sure what's wrong though.

I reset the ECU with my AP but that didn't clear it.

I unplugged the steering wheel airbag connectors and plugged them back in and made sure the push tabs were also reseated.

The passenger airbag light starts up with both off/on lights and then goes to off unless I sit in the seat then goes to on so I assume it's functioning fine.

A month ago I did take off the steering wheel and maybe I messed up the roll connector??? But the cruise and shift buttons still work so I have no idea.

Any other options besides taking it to the dealership?

Correct answer: use SSM3 to check codes, follow FSM to diagnose and repair as needed.

Probably good enough answer: touch up the solder joints in your overhead console. If ANY of the airbag status lights in there are even a bit out of spec it will make the main airbag light come on.

Or maybe your wife just likes messing with you.

This is a pcb assembly made with lead free solder and the solder joints fail. I did the solder re-flow on my 08 2 years ago and has been great sense. I just used some standard leaded solder to do the re-flow but it takes a fair amount of heat to get the base solder too start to re-flow.

Good Luck

Odds are good the junkyard unit will need the same treatment at some point if it doesn't already.

You'll be screwing with it one way or another, why spend money on failure-prone used parts when you already know how to fix the one you've got?

Odds are good the junkyard unit will need the same treatment at some point if it doesn't already.

You'll be screwing with it one way or another, why spend money on failure-prone used parts when you already know how to fix the one you've got?

Because I'd rather make sure that's what's actually wrong here. Gives me time to swap and see that it's fixed instead of pulling mine, messing up the solders, and reinstalled a still broken part.

whaaaaat if you unknowingly install an already broken used part? :iam:

Just about every 05-09 leggy/OB I've owned has needed that fix. It is a VERY common issue.

Your money tho.

Agreed. 4/4 of my 05-09s needed it. It's a 10 minute fix from start to finish. And you'll know immediately if it's fixed.

All the wires/connectors under both seats seated well and in good shape?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

Pretty sure but I will have to check again. Also how in the world does the passenger seat belt light in the overhead console mess with the airbag light? That doesn't make any sense to me.

The overhead console displays passenger airbag on/off status, not just the seat belt reminder.

If the pass airbag on/off status lamps are inop, the general airbag fault light comes on.

Should be 4 lamps in that console. . .seatbelt, ON, pass airbag, OFF. If they don't all 4 come on during lamp check, or one is dim, you've still got some borked solder joints up there.

Take to dealer, have them pull codes with SSM if it's worth $40-80 to you to know exactly what's triggering the light.

When were you messing with the roll connector?

Fun fact: Subaru airbag codes will not clear until ALL issues with the system are resolved. . . which is dumb as f*ck and annoying as Fran Drescher arguing over the temperature of a Mimosa when you're chasing multiple issues.

Well I have an 05 limited gt wagon so maybe that's the difference because I have a passenger airbag light right underneath my center console cubby that is functioning correctly. The overhead is just for the passenger seatbelt. I was messing with the steering wheel swapping it out for another one but didn't move the roll connector

• 2 weeks later...

Archived