LegacyGT.com

2005 Legacy GT Limited - Pricing Ideas?

Hi All,

I hope that this is okay to ask. I am getting ready to sell my baby (2005 Legacy 2.5GT Limited) and am not sure what I should be asking. Several years ago whenever we took it to the dealership for oil changes we were told that there are not many around in the condition it is in with the low mileage that it has. Is KBB the way to go or should I be asking for more? I am having a hard time selling anyway and don't want to lowball myself. Thanks.

If you're having a hard time selling it, then you are probably asking too much for it. That said, have you posted it in the classifieds here and on NASIOC.com, and on Autotrader and Cars.com? The more eyeballs you get on it, the better. As far as I know, as long as the price is fair, there should be a decent number of Subie enthusiasts looking for these cars in good shape; the KBB value is usually at least a little lower than what someone will pay for one of these in good condition with maintenance records. Since you live in the Subaru hotbed that is the Pacific Northwest, the value should be a littler higher as well.

That said, this question is impossible to answer without knowing the mileage, what/if any problems it has, and any imminently needed maintenance items (for example, if the timing belt needs to be changed soon).

Thanks. I am just getting ready to sell. I will be sure to post it in all of those places. I have never really sold a car before so I just want to be prepared.

If you're having a hard time selling it, then you are probably asking too much for it. That said, have you posted it in the classifieds here and on NASIOC.com, and on Autotrader and Cars.com? The more eyeballs you get on it, the better.

This question is impossible to answer without knowing the mileage and where you live, too. As far as I know, as long as the price is fair, there should be a decent number of Subie enthusiasts looking for these cars in good shape; the KBB value is usually at least a little lower than what someone will pay for one of these in good condition with maintenance records.

Thank you!

- It is a sedan.

- Black with black leather interior. Premium sound package, rear spoiler.

- Automatic sport transmission (limited package with the speaker and spoiler added by the dealership).

- Just under 87,000 miles.

- The only mod is a K&B air filter and I still have the original air filter.

I am the original owner. No young or racing drivers. No accidents / clean title.

QUOTE=Holla;5618570]Well, more info would be helpful for us to determine the value.

What body style is it?

Which interior does it have?

Which transmission?

Mileage?

Color?

Mods?

At this point, these are defininetly enthusiast cars so the market on a 5EAT is more limited than the 5MT. With the PNW Subaru tax I'd guess it's worth about 10k.

KBB has it at about $6,000, so I'd say $7-8,000 is a more realistic closing price.

That said, if OP isn't in a rush to sell, I'd list it for $10,000 and see if anyone bites, then if not, gradually lower the price by $500 at a time until someone does.

I just bought my current 2008 5MT with 75,000 miles for $12,000 in December 2015 in the DC area (and knock on wood, haven't put a penny into it beyond regular maintenance yet).

If you're having a hard time selling it, then you are probably asking too much for it. That said, have you posted it in the classifieds here and on NASIOC.com, and on Autotrader and Cars.com? The more eyeballs you get on it, the better. As far as I know, as long as the price is fair, there should be a decent number of Subie enthusiasts looking for these cars in good shape; the KBB value is usually at least a little lower than what someone will pay for one of these in good condition with maintenance records. Since you live in the Subaru hotbed that is the Pacific Northwest, the value should be a littler higher as well.

That said, this question is impossible to answer without knowing the mileage, what/if any problems it has, and any imminently needed maintenance items (for example, if the timing belt needs to be changed soon).

I think what he meant was he was having a difficult time with the decision to sell it.

Archived