LegacyGT.com

Need help to remove the bulb from the 3rd brake light

Throttlejockey

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

There is no cover to remove it and fill in the hole, unless you make one. You can unplug the harness that is further down the cable into the deck and it will be off leaving the light off. That is what I did to mine when I had an 05 with a spoiler. The light is next to impossible to remove, so I just unplugged the harness. I actually did the same to my '12 recently.

X

---

Oh got it. I thought I read that others were just taking the bulb out, but if it's better to unplug that, then that's the route I'll take. It's the harness that you have to remove the rear seats to get to, right?

I do actually plan on making a fiberglass cover for it (as sleek and OEM looking as possible), but not until next summer (I might even make a few extras if any of you are seriously interested). Until then, I was just planning on disabling the light. My window tint prevents seeing it when not illuminated, so I'm just looking for a temporary fix.

• 1 month later...
Yup. I have a tinted back window and a spoiler as well. That is what I did, just disconnect the harness and be done with it.

laz, or anyone else who can help, sorry to bother you guys again with this, but how exactly do you reach that harness? How much of the rear seat do you have to take out to access it? Finally gonna get the chance to do this next week, just wanna make sure I know how haha. Thanks!

All I did was fold down the seats and remove a few pop it's from underneath the rear deck until I could fit my arm enough to unplug the harness. You kind have to do it by feel as opposed to touch. I wish I had taken pics.

X

---

Just removed the bulb tonight. For anyone else who might want to do this in the future, I used the instructions in the vacation pics for "High-Mounted Stop Light Removal" on pg. LI-28 (I've attached that single page below). Super easy, tells you how to open up the casing without breaking anything, and easier than removing the rear seat IMO. After 45 min of driving, no warning lights of any kind, so it hasn't seemed to cause any problems. A great way to remove it for you guys with a factory spoiler!

LGT HMSL Removal.pdf

• 6 months later...
  • 3 years later...
So I know this is super old but is it just the fact that is lights up that everyone hates or is it the whole assembly. If you wanted you could just paint over the light, maybe even find a nice small decal and stick over it after it's painted. You don't have to worry about a plate or holes.

So I know this is super old but is it just the fact that is lights up that everyone hates or is it the whole assembly. If you wanted you could just paint over the light, maybe even find a nice small decal and stick over it after it's painted. You don't have to worry about a plate or holes.

Quick glance its usually because the CHMSL is redundant to the owners who also have a CHMSL in their spoilers. Mazda 6 has a velcro delete that you yank the entire CHMSL out the window and cover the hole up with. IIRC the color of this cardboard carpeted piece with Velcro underneath was a off gray shade. Instead of the Goat C (SFW in case someone decided to google search what it means) hole left behind from pulling it or the odd shape tint cutout if you tinted the car with it still on, they just pull the bulb to make it less annoying knowing that both no longer come on when you brake.

Archived