LegacyGT.com

Need help to remove the bulb from the 3rd brake light

Throttlejockey

• 4 weeks later...
  • Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I tried doing this a few months ago, but somehow managed to break the clips? :confused: It clipped in fine, then a week later I find it sliding when I go around turns. The dealer wouldn't fix it because they said I "broke it."

• 3 months later...
  • 5 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...
if you just pop it off from the top to change the bulb, does it pop back in? (no spoiler here... and bulb is burnt out... one more reason for the 5-0 to pull me over) Thanks.

Why in the world would you get stopped for your 3rd brake light being out? One of the actual brake lights, sure. But the 3rd one? That's ridiculous! :eek:

Why in the world would you get stopped for your 3rd brake light being out? One of the actual brake lights, sure. But the 3rd one? That's ridiculous! :eek:

Because it's a law to have one, and sometimes police officers use bulbs being out to pull people to run checks on (a lot of very bad people have been found this way).

Because it's a law to have one, and sometimes police officers use bulbs being out to pull people to run checks on (a lot of very bad people have been found this way).

Here in TX we definitely don't have laws requiring a 3rd brake light. I still say that's ridiculous. Why not require a 4th and 5th? :confused:

Here in TX we definitely don't have laws requiring a 3rd brake light. I still say that's ridiculous. Why not require a 4th and 5th? :confused:

MI requires 3rd brake light, and i don't like getting pulled over... one less thing i have wrong with my car is one less thing they can get me on.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 9 months later...
Just did it, looked stupid with a spoiler light and the 3rd. Just smashed in my rear window with a framing hammer , and pulled the bulb out. Simple

That works too. Shards of glass still in tact acts as a makeshift air diffuser.

• 5 weeks later...
It looks dumb to have a 3rd brake light, and a 3rd brake light. You only need one high mount stop light; if you have a brake light in your spoiler then pull the bulb out of the assembly in the rear deck.

Maybe in court if both your rear brake lights blow out and you get a ticket you can argue the chmsl x2 still work. I just didn't get around to taking it out and Mazda has that carpeted Velcro cardboard piece @ $30-$50 ish last I looked. Not sure if there was a tan but they had the black and grey color ones.

• 1 year later...
So I know this thread is really old but did anyone ever figure out what the pn for the plate to cover the holes left from the brake light is? I wanna remove mine but I don't want there to be a bunch of holes.
God created turbo lag to give V8s a chance

• 7 months later...
Just unplug the harness.It's behind the seat back on the driver's side.You have to remove the seat bottom to get to the bolts that hold the side of the seat back.Then just the side piece of the seat pulls out.I will be doing that soon I'm putting in my XM antenna in the 3rd brake light.

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Just bumping this request to the top, anyone figure out how to remove the highmount third brake light? Do you really need to remove the whole back seat and deck lid to get to it, or it there a fuse or something one can pull?

Just wondering as I hate having two highmount brake lights (as I have one in my rear spoiler and the orginal one)

I did it on my 5th gen. You lower the back seats and pop up the deck lid enough to stick your arm in and disconnect the third brake light harness. I have a spoiler and hated the two lights coming on.

X

---

• 5 weeks later...
Just remove the red housing. I think the top tabs go first. You should see it all there, not that complicated.

I'm still confused on how to actually get the bulb out in a 2005 Legacy GT... I got the main housing off of the upper tray, and now I'm looking at the interior of that piece (attached picture), and I can't figure out the best way to get to the bulb! The middle tab connecting the red lens to the rear white part (which I assume holds the bulb) is already broken off, and I don't want to break any more! Because of that, I'm trying to be super careful here. Any tips on getting to the bulb in the best way? I was assuming I needed to pull the white part back and away from the red lens, but maybe there's a better way?

I'm sure it's easier than I'm making it, but it'd be great to get a little more detail on how to reach the bulb. Thanks guys!

DSC_0055.thumb.jpg.732e78c9572ad44f2445b1ab7a2e8c58.jpg

Archived