LegacyGT.com

5MT cannot shift into gear

kkushner4474

Foolishness and in a rush. I ordered a clutch disk for Impreza/Legacy 2.5i. Didn't read the fine print. So I ordered exedy clutch kit. Happy that's fixed.

2009 Legacy GT Limited 5MT turbo

As the title says, I cannot currently shift the car into gear. Here are the details.

It all started after driving about 3hrs on highway at moderate speed 80mph ish. Made a pit stop and car was hard to put in gear but went, limped it to hotel I was staying at. As I was moving it around the parking lot to examine, I heard a shatter and ping ping ping like ball bearings bouncing around. At this point I called for a tow home.

I was able to move the car out of parking spot to line up with tow driver, with lots of clutch pedal reverberation and clutch chatter. 3 hrs later in the tow truck the car is dropped off at home. I went to turn it around, but when I start it with clutch pushed in and car in 1st it lurched forward and stalled.

Put it up on 4 jack stands, pull engine, and find a beaten up shaft and multiple pieces of a TOB. I purchase an exedy clutch, and TSK3 repair sleeve kit with TOB. Put car back together and hey it runs. However it does not shift into gear.

Car shifts into gears with car off. Car running, no shift. In neutral and 1st-Rev I can manually spin tires and manually turn over the engine with a ratchet.

Spent half a day bleeding hydraulics.

Clutch fork is on pivot ball.

Clutch fork has a bit of play forwards and back.

Ordered new slave and master cylinder.

I personally feel as if the clutch is not engaging or disengaging all the way. Car remains on jack stands.

Thanks

I'm not sure the parts you ordered are going to help. I guess its the easy parts to try.

Does the clutch pedal feel smooth and does it have full travel ?

Can someone watch the slave piston as you push the pedal ?

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

Clutch pedal has full travel, feels resistant on the way back up, but gets there on its own.

I have had some one in the car push the clutch pedal in and I watched the slave. Slave moves the fork but looks like it could go further. When clutch is held down the slave cylinder holds strong.

Does anyone know how far the slave cylinder piston or cltcuh fork should travel when the pedal is engaged?

I'm guessing at least an inch and it should move horizontal not at an angle. Think about how big the cylinder is.

Resistance coming off the floor is not normal.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Update: kind of fixed for now

Removed whole hydraulic system, master, hard line, flex hose and slave. Replaced master with new one. Kept original hard line. New flex hose. Slave, I took apart, cleaned, greased rubber rings and gaskets, put back together.

Bled the entire system.

Pedal still stuck to the floor and wouldn't go into gear with car running. I then played with the clutch pedal adjustment. Moving the master cylinder adjustment as far out as possible. It is so far out there is no more thread available.

Pedal now returns, I can get car into gear while running.

Got it down the ground took it for a spin came back. There is slight vibration coming through the pedal when in gear.

I let the car sit for 1 hr and I can no longer get it into gear. So I bled the system again. Then I was able to shift and take it for a spin.

Going to check the car every hour for the day and see where that takes me.

Clutch feels like it grabs right off the floor.

Thoughts?

Sorry I'm out of ideas.

I'll think about it and see if I can come up with anything. The service manual may help

http://people.csail.mit.edu/ilh/vacation/

Thank you much. Checked over manual. For pedal adjustment, it says to move seat back 7 notches from front. Sadly my car has electronic adjustment.

My plan as of now is to drive it a day to and from work. Then move the "push rod lock nut" and "U shaped hardware" half a turn, day by day till i can hopefully find that sweet spot.

I feel adjusting the two clutch switches should effect anything about how the car shifts, since the switches are for cruise control and starting the vehicle.

@max capacity, you seem to be the go to guy with any of these transmission threads I have read. Many thanks for your patience and wisdom.

Your welcome, the first time I met up with a stuck Subaru tranny was when a old ski buddy's 1st gen wagon was stuck in neutral. You could not get the shifter to go into any gear. That was about 12+ years ago.

I thought about pulling the tranny, but scrap metal was paying pretty well at that time, so I took it to the scarp yard and got $450 for it.

My 05 GT wagon has had its issues of the years, it's tranny has been out of the car about 13 times.

The current junkyard tranny with Moor Performance Blast Plates has been in the car since Jan 6 2016 when it was rebuilt because the snap-ring broke viscous coupling. that was at 217k on the car. That tranny, which came from a junkyard had been rebuilt when it was installed at 196k miles on the car.

The tranny that came in the car had been apart to many times and the tranny tech felt there was to much play in the case. So he told me to get a different one.

There used to be an old member here BAC 5.2 that was really good with these tranny's. He moved on about 5 years ago.

Archived