LegacyGT.com

Mustang GT - what should I maintain this summer?

I had a look at the owners manual. If I follow the dogma I have to change the coolant - but that's about it. The rear axle doesn't require any fluid change unless it has been submerged or is leaking. Same for power steering fluid. Agreed on checking the hoses. Will check on Mustang Roundup forum to confirm. Thanks.

I can say with confidence that my Mustang is the only bone-stock, un-hit, pristine one of this series I've seen. :) And I plan on keeping it that way - thus ever increasing it's future rarity. LOL This weekend it's cooling system flush time and power steering fluid replacement too.

Did the coolant yesterday. Good gawd it looked awful. Envision dirty toilet, but not that smelly, and you get the idea. Drained rad, added bottle of cooling system flush, topped with water, ran for 20 minutes. Pulled drain cock all the way out, shoved hose in and run for another 15 minutes until it ran clear. Drained rad again, put plug back in, added 1 & 3/4 jugs of concentrate, topped up with water and took for a stomp.

Subarus are a lot easier than this...

• 2 weeks later...
In case anyone cares I did the power steering fluid. I'm certain this was OEM too - it looked darker than the blood spewing out of my leg when I cut it really badly one time. I found it interesting that the car is easier to steer with the new fluid. I guess the original stuff was pretty horrid.

Archived