LegacyGT.com

2005 LGT 5MT clutch chatter?

Blackhawk2k7

I've been to all sorts of forums for Subarus and havent found anyone that explained the noise I am getting, as well as this youtube video I found:

My car sounds EXACTLY like this during engine braking. Is this just the infamous clutch chatter?

I purchased my LGT with the previous owner having put in this stage 2 clutch kit with less than 3k miles on it:

https://www.rallysportdirect.com/part/single-disc-clutches/cci1-15026-2100-competition-clutch-stage-2-steelback-brass-plus-clutch-kit-w-flywheel

Thanks!

Nope that's the 5mt decel noise. Most of us have that. It's very common. One of the reasons we call these 1940's truck tranny's.

Clutch chatted is when your letting the clutch out in 1st gear and the car shakes.

I fix that by, engine running, tranny in neutral, side step the clutch (remove your foot from the pedal) as fast as you can, let the pedal bang to the top.

Also not babying the Spec 2+ clutch in my wagon will stop chatter too

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

Nope that's the 5mt decel noise. Most of us have that. It's very common. One of the reasons we call these 1940's truck tranny's.

Clutch chatted is when your letting the clutch out in 1st gear and the car shakes.

I fix that by, engine running, tranny in neutral, side step the clutch (remove your foot from the pedal) as fast as you can, let the pedal bang to the top.

Also not babying the Spec 2+ clutch in my wagon will stop chatter too

Thank you for the info! Definitely sounds like an old truck. I am have some issue as of late with it seems like a delay in acceleration. I'll blip my throttle every time to get it to prepare for 1st gear from a stop, but its so delayed, sometimes I'll blip it and the rpms wont even rise. What causes this? The mapping on the drive-by-wire?

Also I'll be spirited-ly accelerating at times and feels like its not accelerating like it should, then suddenly halfway up the rps it suddenly digs and pulls like it should be. Seems to do it intermittently. Boost leak perhaps?

First off by a can of MAF cleaner, remove the two small screws holding the MAF in the intake tube off the air filter box.

http://i185.photobucket.com/albums/x40/92Si/DSCN4802.jpg

Spray the cleaner up that tube and tap it on a clean towel and see what comes out. put it back in and start the car and drive it for a few to make sure it runs ok or the same.

if there's no change, do a boost/vacuum leak check. Take a pint size paint can and plug that large hose off the air filter box with the MAF in it. Take the small hose off the blow off valve, give that hose a short quick blast of air from a compressor, put your thumb over the hose and listen for leaks. Air should come out when you remove your thumb.

These cars on a stock tune will not have much until the turbo hits boost. A tuner like http://www.tuningalliance.com can make the power more progressive and more responsive.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

• 4 weeks later...
First off by a can of MAF cleaner, remove the two small screws holding the MAF in the intake tube off the air filter box.

http://i185.photobucket.com/albums/x40/92Si/DSCN4802.jpg

Spray the cleaner up that tube and tap it on a clean towel and see what comes out. put it back in and start the car and drive it for a few to make sure it runs ok or the same.

if there's no change, do a boost/vacuum leak check. Take a pint size paint can and plug that large hose off the air filter box with the MAF in it. Take the small hose off the blow off valve, give that hose a short quick blast of air from a compressor, put your thumb over the hose and listen for leaks. Air should come out when you remove your thumb.

These cars on a stock tune will not have much until the turbo hits boost. A tuner like http://www.tuningalliance.com can make the power more progressive and more responsive.

Thanks for all your help!

I apologize I haven't responded sooner, but I cleaned my MAF, found that there was a piece of what looked like fiberous fuzz caught around the lower sensor. So I carefully removed it and sprayed the whole thing out. When I removed the sensor, the screws were loose already (KNN tyhpoon intake).

So after the fuzz and cleaning I tightened her back on and it ran considerably better but not quite yet what I wanted..

Fast forward to yesterday and I cleaned and reoiled my cone filter. Boy the lugs that hold the filter together were ALSO LOOSE! So after a nice cleaning and some loc-tite it was all good to go.

Now the car runs much nicer (go figure!), I was also suggested to change my spark plugs, so I'll get to that soon, however the previous owner said he did the VC gaskets recently so I am assuming he did them.. But just going to do it for peace of mind.

Also I was reading about the AFR sensor (upstream o2) and people were talking about the '05's having 2 different types of them. When I installed my uppipe I noticed that it was a blue cable instead of the gray or yellow and looked much less for wear than the other parts next to it. Would there be a way to tell if I have the wrong sensor for my car...?

I have several feet if vacuum hose of different sizes and worm-screw clamps to fit, at some point I'm just going to refit all the vac lines with all new hose and clamp 'em down! Probably after I man-up and do my turbo inlet hah!

Final question: should I be worried about the AVCS tiny oil filters since they look stock?

Thanks-a-million!

Just cleaned my wagons MAF sensor today and the K&N air filter, every Spring I do them.

If you have a leak in the air flow system...your not getting the proper air signals.

See post #172 for the Denzo O2.

http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/idea-web-links-saved-various-parts-219238p5.html

Are you asking about the banjo filters ? we say to remove them from both banjo bolts.

Archived