LegacyGT.com

New sound from gearbox or diffs

Subakook

Hey everybody. My 5mt has developed a new sound, almost sounds like a powr steering pump taking a dump.

Only hearing it when taking off and turning. Or hard acceleration going straight in 1st and 2nd.

Recently have been doggin it pretty hard in the turns and think I tore up somthing.

Seems like a lot of people have the center diff bearings go out but what about the front diff?

Just trying to decide if I should bother fixing or just baby it until I can buy a 6mt

My pwr steering fluid was at the hot min. line. Added an oz or so of HP ATF left over from my 5eater days.

Really dont think is the pwr steering pump but does sound similar. Anybody wanna take a guess?

I found an intersection where I like to romp through 1st and 2nd, while turning. Is this bad? Does getting some wheelspin in a subie mean you're tearing stuff up?

Sound is definitely rpm dependent, not speed dependent. And under heavy load. So would that rule out differential problems?

The 5mts have straight cut gears, they are loud in 1st and 2nd.

Use Motul gear 300 for a fluid. I will put nothing else in my Subaru tranny's.

Does your 5mt make noise when you lift off the gas in lower gears ? Decel noise ?

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

• 2 weeks later...

I'm use to the normal 1st and 2nd gear noise, I think it sounds kinda cool really.

I have plenty of decel noise in 1st and 2nd, always thought it was normal.

This is a new sound, bearing or something is definitely giving out. All my fluids are good.

Just running some vavoline syn gear oil for the past 5k. May go ahead and drain the gearbox, see how much metal debris i have on the magnet.

• 4 weeks later...

Finally got the vavoline drained out. Looked pretty bad. Silver, metal dust in the fluid.

A little fine metal dust on the magnet.

Was expecting to find a piece of gear stuck to the magnet.

I think that first gear is just worn out maybe.

Which fluid did you put in the tranny this time ?

Read the sticky up top about the swap to a 6mt

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

• 2 weeks later...
I put the new subaru gear oil in. I've ordered new bearings for the center diff and transfer gears. I hope to open this thing up in the next couple weekends. Will post in the center diff bearing sticky with my findings.

Archived