LegacyGT.com

Oil leak

That's the top of the timing cover. It looks like something is leaking onto it though, so my money is on the power steering pump. How does the car sound when you turn the wheel? Is your power steering fluid reservoir at the correct level?

To make sure it's not a cam seal, take a look underneath the car at the bottom of the black plastic timing cover. If you have oil coming from that, then you probably will need to remove the timing cover to inspect the timing belt, cam shaft pulleys, and crank pulleys to determine where the leak is coming from.

Your valve covers are on either side of the engine (driver's side and passenger side) really close to the wheel wells. They are made of metal, you can check the valve cover gasket for leaks by looking under the car with the plastic under tray removed.

Brought to you by Pfizer

Well if you weren't mechanically inclined when you bought a turbocharged Subaru, it will either make you mechanically inclined, or make you poor haha. At least that's what happened to me haha.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Brought to you by Pfizer

That's what it is then! I'm not too mechanically inclined, so I enjoy learning all of this. I do have a failing PS Pump. You guys rock!

Slow down... I've had 3 '05 LGTs, never had a PS pump fail, but every one had the suction hose leak onto the pump and down onto the timing cover, looking like a leaky pump. Also the O-ring at said suction hose goes bad; that's a different set of symptoms that can also make you think the pump is bad.

That's a fairly small leak, look around the forums here, you'll find lot's of threads about PS leaks.

Fairly easy to fix, replace if you need.

Ask us before you spend your money we can guide you to spend smartly.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

I took it to a local subaru dealership a few weeks ago, to have them do some warranty work. Turned out nothing was covered. They said they needed to replace the power steering pump and a few other things. They wanted around $1500 which I don't have right now, which is why I resulted to trying to fix it myself. At least I'll get to learn. You guys are a huge help!

Lol, $1500 seems pretty outrageous. Does the car make any sounds when steering? Is it groaning a lot or is it really hard to steer? If not then the pump sounds like it's probably fine aside from the leak. I wouldn't go back there. Check out your local forum to see if anyone has a recommendation on a good shop in your area if you are unable to do the work yourself. A new power steering pump is a $125~ part. That being said it's probably a bad o-ring or hose.

Brought to you by Pfizer

They wanted $500 for the pump, plus another $180 for the labor. There is other stuff wrong with it, but I could fix that stuff. It only whines a tiny bit when it's cold out. Sometimes it gets hard to turn with half a turn on the wheel left. Thanks for the help/advice!

You may have air in the PS lines. Do a few figure 8's in a parking lot going lock to lock with the steering wheel at slow speed. Check the fluid level after that.

The o-ring is a $5.00 fix. Worst case the copper crush U washer on the side of the pump is a $10.00 fix.

The pump is easy to replace if it comes to that. Do these cheap fix's first. We can walk you through what is needed.

Next time your at Walmart or where ever, pick up a can of PB Blaster penetrating fluid and a jar of https://www.walmart.com/ip/20056284?wmlspartner=wlpa&selectedSellerId=0&adid=22222222227016774191&wl0=&wl1=g&wl2=c&wl3=40873343912&wl4=aud-273067695102:pla-78766073552&wl5=9003217&wl6=&wl7=&wl8=&wl9=pla&wl10=8175035&wl11=online&wl12=20056284&wl13=&veh=sem

Use that on all threads, even the lug nuts.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

• 4 weeks later...
They wanted $500 for the pump, plus another $180 for the labor. There is other stuff wrong with it, but I could fix that stuff. It only whines a tiny bit when it's cold out. Sometimes it gets hard to turn with half a turn on the wheel left. Thanks for the help/advice!

Whining only when it's cold out is the O-ring where the suction hose meets the pump. You can confirm by running the car, turning it off, pulling the reservoir cap and looking for foaming bubbles in the reservoir. Subaru does not to my knowledge sell that O-ring, they consider it part of the pump. It's not a size most auto parts stores have in their assortment. I had to get it from a special Ace Hardware with an amazing O-ring assortment. I don't recall the size for sure, but I think it was 10mm ID x 2mm thickness. Definitely don't take my word for that.

• 5 weeks later...
Sorry took so long. I still haven't discovered the leak. It seem's to be coming from the bottom/behind the ps pump. The bottom and behind of it are soaked in oil. Any suggestions? I plan I removing ps pump this weekend.

Try the $2 o-ring.... It's a very common issue, the oem o-ring that looks like nitrile rubber shrinks, and leaks fluid... I'd have some extra PS fluid on hand if you do replace the o-ring. No need to remove the pump, or buy a new pump.. Start simple, don't create more work than you have to, or spend more money than you have to..

Archived