LegacyGT.com

Some smoking on new build. Forged internals.

2008 legacy GT limited. Currently at 5k miles on new rebuild. Manley pistols and rods, new block, arp head studs, all gaskets done, vf52 turbo, spt intake, grimmspeed topmount, nvidia downpipe and other misc things.

I was sitting in a drive through (this isn't the first time I've noticed this) for awhile, or 10 minutes waiting for my order. When i got my food and took off I left behind a nice plume of blue smoke, but then nothing. After sitting at an idle for awhile when it's warm it'll spit a cloud of bluish smoke.

Also, "SOMETIMES" if I start my car when it's hot (if I run into a convienence store really fast) when I start it it will do a puff of smoke, but not always.

There's white smoke but it's hard to differentiate if it's actually smoke or vapor because I'm in North Idaho and it's still pretty cold out.

I'm also still on conventional oil. Rebuild shop told me to do an oil change every 800 to 1k miles with conventional, then when I hit 5k switch to synthetic (motul). I have my oil change scheduled in 2 days, maybe once I switch to synthetic it'll help the issue? Thinking of putting in 10w30 but my just stick with 5w30

Anyways, a finger in the right direction will be appreciated. Thanks guys! Maybe it's nothing to worry about, maybe it is. Might get a compression test and maybe even my valves checked soon though, unless you guys have a better idea!

You have a bad seal some where. I'm thinking rings possible.

Talk with the machine shop.

Valve seals will normally leak overnight and you'll get blue smoke on start up.

What were the end gaps on the rings ?

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

You have a bad seal some where. I'm thinking rings possible.

Talk with the machine shop.

Valve seals will normally leak overnight and you'll get blue smoke on start up.

What were the end gaps on the rings ?

Haven't noticed any smoke on cold start ups at all. Only when she's hot. Going to give the shop that did the build today for more details on the specs of the build and see if they have any recommendations. Previous owner did the build and I got the car with about 2k on it.

Is your PCV working well ?

you might want to shake the valve to make sure it isn't plugged up ?

It used to be easy in the old day's...now its a PITA to check.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

Is your PCV working well ?

you might want to shake the valve to make sure it isn't plugged up ?

It used to be easy in the old day's...now its a PITA to check.

I'll check that and see if there's any improvement, also I have an update. Just started my car cold after work, jumped back out the door to watch and indeed...a big puff of bluish smoke that lasted probably 2 seconds. Then absolutely nothing.

Archived