LegacyGT.com

New owner code P0021 Help

Hey everyone, i recently got myself into a 2007 Spec B. The car seems to run great for the most part, except i've gotten the P0021 code twice now. Yesterday decided to pull the driverside OVC out and clean it up after doing some research. The plunger moved fine and there was nothing obstructive in there. Today it came back on, but the car continues to run fine with no weird noises or odors. My questions are is it likely the solenoid on the OCV has failed? I understand banjo bolts are a big problem with these cars and are often related to this code, but one thing ive been having trouble clearing up is that 07-09 didn't have much of a problem with the bolts? And if this is something i should still be concerned with, will the bolts on the 07 be in the same location as the ones on the 05-06?

Thanks in advance, and i look forward to being here.

It is possible the solenoid has failed but you can test it using battery voltage. The banjo filters may be clogged, I think you might have to pull off the rear timing covers to pull those bolts out. Also if your oil is really dirty, you can try changing it to hopefully flush out whatever blockage there may be. Good luck, this is a very pesky code that I just got done dealing with!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

Thanks, it seems like a lot of people are chasing this gremlin.

I ended up looking under the turbo inlet for the banjo bolt, there didn't seem to be a lot of blockage but some dark gritty oil came out (makes me think of the finer bits of ground up coffee getting stuck in the reusable filters) in otherwise clean looking oil. I haven't gotten to the one behind the timing belt cover yet, or changed the oil, but I plan on it. In the mean time, the code hasn't returned (yet) so fingers crossed that it's fixed for the time being.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

07-09 have the banjo bolts with filters up top, not like a 05-06. 07's seem to be a in between year. But I'm sure the banjo with filter is up top...?

I would pull that filter and change the oil and oil filter.

If the code returns, buy a OCV.

oh, here,

http://people.csail.mit.edu/ilh/vacation/ see page 978 for starters in the 08 book, in the back of the book about 5200 is how things work section.

this may help too.

http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/subaru-oem-parts-catalog-online-exploded-views-opposed-forces-130411.html

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

07-09 have the banjo bolts with filters up top, not like a 05-06. 07's seem to be a in between year. But I'm sure the banjo with filter is up top...?

I would pull that filter and change the oil and oil filter.

If the code returns, buy a OCV.

oh, here,

http://people.csail.mit.edu/ilh/vacation/ see page 978 for starters in the 08 book, in the back of the book about 5200 is how things work section.

this may help too.

http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/subaru-oem-parts-catalog-online-exploded-views-opposed-forces-130411.html

The passenger side one definitely is up top, under the turbo inlet. I got that one taken care of but haven't gotten to the driver side yet. Unless it's the one behind the oil filler neck?

Thanks for the PDF, that's a gold mine of information, i'm sure it will come in handy in the future.

Behind the oil filler tube should be the one. That's the P0021 if I recall right. P0011 is the one near the turbo.

Oh, your welcome, I do that link for a lot of new members.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

In the same boat myself. Light came on for p0021 last night and went off sometime the next day. The filters have already been pulled. Going to change the oil and if it comes back then I'll get a new OCV.

From my understanding the OCV should be replaced (or banjo filters clogged, oil is dirty) if the OCV reads 0* and has a value of 10% at idle

http://i673.photobucket.com/albums/vv94/Kidd_Nickles/Subaru/20170407_115829_zpsq85pd3jt.jpg

The key with VVT L/R is that they stay in sync at all times. If you see one of them lagging behind or simply being out of sync, then the ocv is either failing or there are some issues with the oil flow (e.g. clogged banjo bolt filter).

At idle, these two variables should be at 0. Depending on your tune, they will pick at a certain value under load (e.g. 11 deg).

Ahhh ok...mine were def not in sync while going through the rev range. Ill just order an new oem sensor/valve from amazon since it's cheaper that way.

**Is there any possible harm to happen while driving with it being bad?

...the one behind the oil filler neck?

I think you might be talking about the banjo for the OCV, these don't come with a filter... All bolts with filters in them have a 'nipple' on top whereas bolts with no filter have a flat top. The bolt you're looking for is behind the timing cover just behind the drivers side AVCS. It's a huge pain in the ass lol but definitely not impossible.

2017-04-06-PHOTO-00006578.thumb.jpg.9c1ccd2c9dde2daed7714f994de39bbf.jpg

I think you might be talking about the banjo for the OCV, these don't come with a filter... All bolts with filters in them have a 'nipple' on top whereas bolts with no filter have a flat top. The bolt you're looking for is behind the timing cover just behind the drivers side AVCS. It's a huge pain in the ass lol but definitely not impossible.

[ATTACH]247421[/ATTACH]

Is that a picture of a 2007 or a 05-06 ?

Oh yea, here's the 08,

http://estore.subarupartswarehouse.com/a/Subaru_2008_Legacy25L-TURBO-5MT-4WDGT-Limited-Sedan/_54102_6023323/CYLINDER-HEAD-SYSTEM/B13-006-03.html

See bolt 3 and the box in the upper right corner to find the part number, yep still behind the cam cover.

Not sure if you found the problem, but here are some things that may cause your symptoms.

1. Dirty oil (sludge) or incorrect viscosity

2. Blocked oil passages. (Insufficient oil pressure)

3. Faulty Oil Control Valve Solenoid(s)

4. Improper assembly of AVCS cam gear to cam shaft.

5. Sign of possible turbo failure

6. Timing Off

7. Incorrect alignment/assembly of the AVCS gear.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

[ATTACH]247421[/ATTACH]

Oh that's cute, as if the driver side one wasn't as big a pain in the ass!

I'll have to make a day project of that sometime, or tackle it when I do the timing belt. After removing the driver side filter, I haven't gotten the code again (yet. Knock on wood) also, as I figure fuel economy will take a hit from the vvt not engaging properly, I was at 11.5mpg avg before, now I'm at 24.5 avg. it's been a bit over a week so far, but it's looking good at the moment.

I also saw a thread on here where the guy had a cam gear that would stick when it was suppose to advance, so I guess that could be another problem some people have with these codes, though it doesn't seem to be too common of an occurrence. I'll try to find the thread for anyone who hasn't seen it yet.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Archived