LegacyGT.com

Melted MAF?

So when I was cleaning my MAF a week or two ago. It was pretty dark outside and I thought it might have looked a little weird. Fast forward two weeks and I pulled it again in the light and it looked melted. I've replaced it now. But. Has anyone seen one like this?

There's parts that look like they got hot enough to almost drip!

http://i1146.photobucket.com/albums/o538/zachariahcrowell/20170326_103026_zpseqhenoaw.jpg

http://i1146.photobucket.com/albums/o538/zachariahcrowell/20170326_103034_zpsfedrshqj.jpg

http://i1146.photobucket.com/albums/o538/zachariahcrowell/20170326_103046_zpsipfrfp1y.jpg

Nope, this is the first I've seen something like that.

Somebody give that guy a cookie.

You win.

I wonder how that could happen and not cause anything wrong.

What's the intake tube look like ?

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

Did you clean it in the recent past? Only thing I can think of is a "cleaner" that ate away at it. I can't imagine the intake air getting that hot.

I cleaned it recently and let it dry thoroughly but remembered it looking...weird? I'm not too familiar with how these ones are "suppose" to look. Glad I changed it.

I can't imagine the intake air being that hot either.

Maybe it was shorted. Water damaged. Tossed in by a previous owner just to make it run?

Well it shall remain a mystery then! Unfortunately I don't have too much background on the car. Bought it pretty cheap to fix up and the only paperwork in it was for routine maintenance it looks like.

About a week after I bought it. It blew up whilst limping it a couple miles back home. I've replaced A LOT of things on the car so I'm not too terribly surprised at this.

After pulling the heads off I found burnt valves. Maybe bad fueling due to the MAF being in this condition was a contributing factor?

About a week after I bought it. It blew up whilst limping it a couple miles back home.

Man, how many times do I read this on this forum? Sad :(.

That's why I recall when I bought my 06 a couple of years ago, I was a bit scared cause it was a stage 2 car sold at an Audi dealership :eek:.

BUT, I brought my laptop with me, asked the dealer if it was OK to plug it to the car to do some diagnosis ;). I ran romraider and stuff. Everything checked out fine. So I bit the bullet and bought it!

Man, how many times do I read this on this forum? Sad :(.

That's why I recall when I bought my 06 a couple of years ago, I was a bit scared cause it was a stage 2 car sold at an Audi dealership :eek:.

BUT, I brought my laptop with me, asked the dealer if it was OK to plug it to the car to do some diagnosis ;). I ran romraider and stuff. Everything checked out fine. So I bit the bullet and bought it!

Haha I know! I should have done some homework. But. I did buy it for more of a project than anything. And boy what a project it has been. But I'm hoping now with the rebuild done it'll treat me right if I treat it right in return.

All I had was a code scanner. It had two misfires and coming from N/A subarus. I thought. Yeah I can handle this. Well. A month later and a full rebuild later. I handled it haha.

I'd really like to get into the romraider/tuning side in the future. Until then, I've been working with Dave at cryotune trying to get everything all sorted out. Really hoping the MAF had a lot to do with fuel trim issues.

Right now I have the V2 AP just for an easy way to get it tuned.

Everytime I log and get back home I just sit and Google and read for hours about what it all means. It's very interesting to me.

I just didn't think my brain could take diving straight into tuning after my first rebuild haha.

Thanks for the advice. Now. What exactly is learning view? Watching it live or data logging and then looking at it on the computer? I've been seeing knock increase by 1 at what looks like 1000-1200 rpm. Nothing in the fine knock column.

Here is a good read from those who created 'learning view'. http://www.romraider.com/forum/topic5371.html

The learning view essentially gives you a quick summary of your fuel trims (i.e. running too lean or too rich), and tells you if you're knocking in certain circumstances. But read that link above and you will learn a lot.

I am not sure if the AP can pull an LV on the fly. I think it does. The btssm app does it right on your phone/tablet :cool:.

Previous owner had CAI. Did not keep stock parts. Took off CAI and bought junkyard parts. MAF came off car fire salvage.

That actually makes a lot of sense. Or the person I picked it up from tried switching the MAF with a junkyard sensor from a car that was indeed running CAI/car fire salvage to try and fix the misfire CEL and rough running.

Either way. New motor. New MAF. Hoping it clears some things up in the future and I appreciate the insight.

Archived