LegacyGT.com

Exhaust Leak at EWG?

Recently my exhaust note has become much louder, and I noticed that at idle there is some exhaust coming from my Tial EWG dump valve. To confirm the issue I did a smoke boost leak test, and smoke was leaking from the EWG.

I wanted to confirm that the EWG shouldn't be leaking at idle?

Thanks

Hey. Had a similar issue a while back. Think over time the guts of the EWG just need to be relubricated. Mines would occasionally be open a little bit when driving around town, and doing a full boost pull would sometimes get it to close fully. Good luck

I took the EWG off the car and when I opened it up everything looked fine.

I was able to confirm that the valve and valve seat are not making a very tight seal since when I tested using water with the valve shut it leaked. This would explain why I felt exhaust coming out of the EWG at idle. Here is a video of the leak:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B1alAXGtOQidZXM5aHN4ZFV1czg/view?usp=sharing

The seat shouldn't fully seal until the valve is installed. The seat is pushed against the valve when the wg is clamped to the pipe. If that makes sense?

Are they covered in carbon? A wire brush and some throttle body cleaner can help. Does the valve move smoothly when you apply pressure to the bottom half? Should crack at pressure around the tension specified for the spring(s) you have installed.

I took out the spring so I could easily move the WG piston. When the valve seat if fully inserted and the WG piston is fully extended there is a hairline crack which I believe is letting exhaust escape.

I am sending the WG into Tial for inspection.

Archived