LegacyGT.com

Clutch master blown in 8 months?

My original CMC blew along the ring on the bottom last May and I replaced it with an Exedy. However, yesterday that replacement blew the same exact way as I was pulling into my driveway. Why would it blow so soon after replacing it when the original lasted 18 years? I read a review of it on Amazon where another guy had the same exact issue, his blew in 8 months too. I guess they're just shitty parts?

I've already ordered a new Tokico CMC, hopefully it's better. I did notice with the Exedy that it turned the fluid black within a week after installing it. Was that a sign of what was to come?

Amazon is the new eBay with genuine looking counterfeits. It was most likely a counterfeit Exedy. I have stopped buying those kind of parts on Amazon and eBay and will only buy from Rockauto or AZ/Oreillys. Tokico is also a common counterfeited item too on those sites. There's a real difference between a counterfeit and a knockoff. Knockoffs only pretend to be the original part. Look and feel may be similar with a few oddities. Counterfeits look like the original, it's what inside that is the concern. A company can make the box it comes in and the housing it's made out of look like a legit part, but they severely cheap out of the internals. When you say your fluid turned black within a week, that was a sure sign right there of trouble to come. Subpar seals and less than clean internals will cause it to foul the fluid like that. I recommend when you get the new one in, you completely flush all the lines and slave cylinder to remove any crap in the lines from the old CMC.

The "Exedy" CMC that blew actually was from Rockauto. I just got my new Tokico one and it feels very nice, much better than the "Exedy" one I had. If it does the same black fluid thing I'll look into sourcing one from a more reliable retailer like Worldpac or WPD, and I kinda want to keep one in my car just in case after having two different CMCs blow on me.

Archived