LegacyGT.com

Why do they do this to their license?

Boulderguy

Where I live, all performance mods are illegal and the cops / EPA do trawl social media for cars with visible mods and owners boasting about mods to add to their revenue.

Some countries like Switzerland have publicly accessible databases on DMV websites. Advertising your pimped-out ride just invites theft and vandalism when your address is linked to your license number.

Obligatory '[URL="http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/2008-gh8-238668.html?t=238668"]build thread[/URL]' Increased capacity to 2.7 liters, still turbo, but no longer need spark plugs.

Where I live, all performance mods are illegal and the cops / EPA do trawl social media for cars with visible mods and owners boasting about mods to add to their revenue.

Some countries like Switzerland have publicly accessible databases on DMV websites. Advertising your pimped-out ride just invites theft and vandalism when your address is linked to your license number.

Obligatory '[URL="http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/2008-gh8-238668.html?t=238668"]build thread[/URL]' Increased capacity to 2.7 liters, still turbo, but no longer need spark plugs.

I did that for awhile with my plates and gun serial numbers but lately I haven't bothered. My plates are registered here. I have dash cam footage to prove where I was and was not and I have receipts for all my guns and half of them are on file with my department because I use them for work in some fashion.

So assuming you're in law enforcement, you'd know how hard it'd be for a private yahoo to access someone's personal info from tag digits. And that it probably leaves a digital footprint when someone does.

So if all that's correct, do you think it's a necessary precaution or not?

And if so, shouldn't they be more worried about people on the street seeing them?

Each states DMV/BMV is different. Some allow people to pay for access to plate owner information. Just plate. No driving records. Maybe a tow company, camera enforcement company, etc. but they got your address.

there's also public databases which log people's plates.

But they usually don't get driving records. I'm in the process of making my public info stuff (car, house) transferred into a trust. So if someone runs my name plate they just get the trust name. In Ohio, BMV allows LEOs to set their plate listing to their department address.

As far as people in LE, everything, I mean everything we run is logged with our name, date and time. It's a crime for us to run stuff without a LE purpose. Those that get caught (and they do) are charged. In Ohio, there's an entire group of people that their whole job is to look for officers abusing the system. At my job, it's my job to audit who is running what from time to time. Basically making sure officers aren't looking up family members, famous people, etc.

We've had a guy get fired a long time ago, it was noticed he was constantly running photos of young women. He wasn't able to justify why he was doing it. So they are patterns to abuse and we are very strict about it.

Interesting, thanks for the qualified input. I remember the SO deputy in FL who arrested a city PD guy, then got harassed for a year or two that way. They ended up tracking a few of the LEO's the way you mention, so it's definitely not just your state.

Archived