LegacyGT.com

correlation is not causation...

Long story short, end of my Florida vacation coincided with arrival of Blizzard where I had to fly, 4 cancelled flights in a row and no flights out of Orlando, so we ended up renting what was available and driving 20 hours back yesterday (Dodge Journey SXT, OMG 20mpg 2.4l engine, no better acceleration than my Legacy, more road noise than my car, no adaptive cruise, terrible mirrors and rear visibility (dangerously so) --only redeeming features were LED lighting in the cup holders and everywhere else and great high beams that could barely be used due to traffic.

Really would have enjoyed Eyesight for that roadtrip...

Anyway, back to Subaru content: Legacy was parked outside for a week, had to shovel snow that was up to the windows and disable traction control to get it out of the parking space, started driving slowly and TPMS light came on...and car was not handing right...steering wheel feedback of tires wobbling...

Stopped right away to visually inspect tires, none flat, drove slow about a mile to a gas station, checked and had a front tire low at ~22psi... hopefully not a leak, filled it up and started driving and...

Car was still not right, tires way out of balance, realized that the rims full of snow and ice probably had something to do with it, pulled over and thoroughly poked it out.

And all is well, at least, if the tire that was low holds pressure which I need to recheck.

Moral of the story, the wobble could have been low pressure or snow in the rims or both.

PS: during said snowstorm was in 75+ degree weather in Florida sipping drinks, so at least there's that. Didn't see too many Subies in Florida, but now I know if I lived there I would own a modern rear wheel drive muscle car, lots of those there, probably a lot of fun year round...

Long story short, end of my Florida vacation coincided with arrival of Blizzard where I had to fly, 4 cancelled flights in a row and no flights out of Orlando, so we ended up renting what was available and driving 20 hours back yesterday (Dodge Journey SXT, OMG 20mpg 2.4l engine, no better acceleration than my Legacy, more road noise than my car, no adaptive cruise, terrible mirrors and rear visibility (dangerously so) --only redeeming features were LED lighting in the cup holders and everywhere else and great high beams that could barely be used due to traffic.

Really would have enjoyed Eyesight for that roadtrip...

Anyway, back to Subaru content: Legacy was parked outside for a week, had to shovel snow that was up to the windows and disable traction control to get it out of the parking space, started driving slowly and TPMS light came on...and car was not handing right...steering wheel feedback of tires wobbling...

Stopped right away to visually inspect tires, none flat, drove slow about a mile to a gas station, checked and had a front tire low at ~22psi... hopefully not a leak, filled it up and started driving and...

Car was still not right, tires way out of balance, realized that the rims full of snow and ice probably had something to do with it, pulled over and thoroughly poked it out.

And all is well, at least, if the tire that was low holds pressure which I need to recheck.

Moral of the story, the wobble could have been low pressure or snow in the rims or both.

PS: during said snowstorm was in 75+ degree weather in Florida sipping drinks, so at least there's that. Didn't see too many Subies in Florida, but now I know if I lived there I would own a modern rear wheel drive muscle car, lots of those there, probably a lot of fun year round...

There are quite of few Subaru's especially Foresters. Most of us do not live in Orlando but just on the outskirts. It nice place to visit, wine and dine, functions or passthrough to head to the parks(Kissimmee) but no overly family oriented especially downtown.

Laughter is good for the Soul.

Laughing at Oneself and with Other is good for the Soul😆

There are quite of few Subaru's especially Foresters. Most of us do not live in Orlando but just on the outskirts. It nice place to visit, wine and dine, functions or passthrough to head to the parks(Kissimmee) but no overly family oriented especially downtown.

Laughter is good for the Soul.

Laughing at Oneself and with Other is good for the Soul😆

Saw some subies, just not like where I live, but I did see a whole lot of Chargers, Mustangs, Corvettes, Camaro's, etc

And I thought, can't drive that as my DD at home, but if I lived down here, I would for sure.

Lots of short opportunity high speed merging happening in Orlando Florida... and way too much traffic for my liking, but in its defense, Spring Break is going on.

PS: Rowlette, you are welcome for me taking one of Florida's "premium" Dodge Journey rentals far, far away...:)

Saw some subies, just not like where I live, but I did see a whole lot of Chargers, Mustangs, Corvettes, Camaro's, etc

And I thought, can't drive that as my DD at home, but if I lived down here, I would for sure.

Lots of short opportunity high speed merging happening in Orlando Florida... and way too much traffic for my liking, but in its defense, Spring Break is going on.

PS: Rowlette, you are welcome for me taking one of Florida's "premium" Dodge Journey rentals far, far away...:)

I wouldn't worry about the low pressure too much. I've had lots of tires dip down to 22psi (TPMS sensor alarm psi) when it gets cold out, add the requisite air, and then never have another issue with that tire again. Seems like the snow in your wheels was the off-balance culprit, which is common.

I wouldn't worry about the low pressure too much. I've had lots of tires dip down to 22psi (TPMS sensor alarm psi) when it gets cold out, add the requisite air, and then never have another issue with that tire again. Seems like the snow in your wheels was the off-balance culprit, which is common.

I would think the ice/snow is the main culprit for your wheels feeling out of balance. Over on TacomaWorld where I frequent, we get guys complaining of the same thing. On countless occasions someone has complained about their tires being out of balance only to find out this happened right after off roading in some mud. The mud cakes up on the inside of the wheels and dries, throwing it off balance. I guarantee once you get it all cleaned out of there, it'll drive like normal.

I would think the ice/snow is the main culprit for your wheels feeling out of balance. Over on TacomaWorld where I frequent, we get guys complaining of the same thing. On countless occasions someone has complained about their tires being out of balance only to find out this happened right after off roading in some mud. The mud cakes up on the inside of the wheels and dries, throwing it off balance. I guarantee once you get it all cleaned out of there, it'll drive like normal.

Just checked and that tire is holding air now, weird, I keep my tire pressure topped off but parking for a week outside must have done a number on the car.

My engine bay, once pristine, is now pretty dirty, when I got home I put a trickle charger on the battery (overnight, still not fully charged) and popping the hood found both sides of the rear engine bay and vents, and near the air filter and battery, packed with wind-blown snow, which moved any dust around and then dried up and left it spotted...

I would have instantly gone to the dx snow/ice in the rims if the TPMS hadn't come on, and then found that tire low. I was worried on my drive home (after topping that one tire off at the gas station) that it was still losing air...about 19 degrees outside and I didn't really want to change to the spare, but I would have to avoid waiting for AAA or the Subaru version.

PS: Car wouldn't budge backing out of the parking spot (surrounded on three sides by snow up to the windows) until traction control was off. Never had to use that trick before, either. Maybe it would have rolled out if I wasn't having to back it up?

quick update, found a screw in the tire that leaked air.

very slow leak, but over the week the car was parked enough to set off the TPMS. Been monitoring that tire and found it a little low again today (no tpms yet) and saw the culprit.

So tire pressure does change with weather, but not 8-10 PSI worth over a weeks time...

Archived