LegacyGT.com

Leggy dies when clutch is pushed in

This just happened to me. I know the throwout bearing is making noise, and has been, but its been driving fine. And just not I'm driving to an appointment and my clutch pedal felt like it was getting stuck, and the cluck was engaging rough. So I pulled into a McDonalds. Checked fluid for the clutch. Seems fine. Checked trans fluid. Seems like there's a lot in there, couldn't tell, it was all bubbly. Which I feel like it shouldn't be. Car still running, in neutral, I press the clutch in to check if the fork is moving and the thing dies on me. Started back up, and then dies, unless I release the clutch pedal quickly. Any ideas guys? Is it the throwout bearing finally? I feel like it wouldn't be so sudde .

You need a new clutch. And you may need a TSK kit for the snout.

I'm guessing that if you can keep it running, you can't get it into gear or even get past pressing the clutch in to try.

Either the tb is toast, the pp fingers have had it, the clutch fork is split, or the tb is getting hung up on the snout.

You need a new clutch. And you may need a TSK kit for the snout.

I'm guessing that if you can keep it running, you can't get it into gear or even get past pressing the clutch in to try.

Either the tb is toast, the pp fingers have had it, the clutch fork is split, or the tb is getting hung up on the snout.

I just drove it home, if I blip the engine before pushing the clutch pedal in, it won't stall. I did a clutch test last week, tried to pull in fourth with the ebrake on, stalled right away. But I planned on putting a new clutch with the tob. Looks like I'll order the clutch, pressure plate, tsk3 kit, and bolts.

I'm not seeing it specifically listing the 2.5i, but it should be the same TSK3 as on the LGT.

Edit: with the car running and in neutral, if you slowly start pushing on the pedal, does it progressively drag the engine down and make increasingly angry sounds? I'm wondering if maybe the TOB is seized- if it's not spinning, the face that contacts the pressure plate fingers would basically be working like a brake. Would explain how you can keep it running without pushing the pedal, since there's not much force at all with no pedal input.

I'm not seeing it specifically listing the 2.5i, but it should be the same TSK3 as on the LGT.

Edit: with the car running and in neutral, if you slowly start pushing on the pedal, does it progressively drag the engine down and make increasingly angry sounds? I'm wondering if maybe the TOB is seized- if it's not spinning, the face that contacts the pressure plate fingers would basically be working like a brake. Would explain how you can keep it running without pushing the pedal, since there's not much force at all with no pedal input.

Yes, this ^

Okay, today I checked crankshaft endplay, wasn't out of spec, which can rule out thrust bearing I believe, one of my teachers told me to check. Then I pushed it into position where I will work on it. Another test teach told me to do, start it, and slowly push clutch pedal in, I did, and it made a squealing sound. I was also now able to push it all the way to the floor and it wasn't dying. But I was def hearing a click sound when it was to the floor. The rpms did drop a little while pushing the clutch in, like it was being put under a load. Car stayed in neutral the whole time, didn't want to risk anymore damage. Clutch kit came in btw. Going to start disconnecting the engine tomorrow.

Archived