LegacyGT.com

Temp Spiking

last week on the freeway my temp spiked to redline. 9 times out of 10 it's a head gasket. Here's the story:

09 LGT. 25k miles ago, the heads went (a common thing with my motor). the heads were replaced (not resurfaced. replaced). 5k miles later, throws rod. I'm already neck deep, so i suck it up and put in a new (reman'd) block. Been running like a top since -- until 3 days ago.

What we've already tried:

-replaced the thermostat

-flushed out radiator

Temp is still spiking. Not to redline, but it's getting hot.

Anybody here have any other suggestions that come short of tearing out heads/checking seals on block/spending my entire tax refund on it???

Are you positive you got all the air bled out of the cooling system? It can cause some "anomalous behavior", to say the least. Sounds like you replaced the thermostat and/or radiator cap recently? Did you use the OEM parts for those?

Are you positive you got all the air bled out of the cooling system? It can cause some "anomalous behavior", to say the least. Sounds like you replaced the thermostat and/or radiator cap recently? Did you use the OEM parts for those?

yup. every inch of hose and every container has been burped. every part is NOT from the dealer, but they check out...

thanks for responses, guys.

Miles:

the main issue is freeway speed. i can drive it around town, and it's fine-but once i set the cruise at 70, it's hot.

Darth:

the fan is working overtime. it's working, for sure...

Max:

i'm sure i didn't. what are ARP studs? aftermarket thing??

The good news is you are getting some cooling and it is predictable when the overheating happens. The symptoms suggest it is not getting enough flow through the radiator. Is it possible something is blocking airflow to the radiator?

The first thing I would try is to use the OEM thermostat. Non-OEM thermostats have been known to cause similar issues, evidently many of them don't flow enough.

The second thing would be the radiator itself. Replacement radiators can be very inexpensive and that preemptively deals with the issue of our radiators cracking and or separating at the end tanks when they get older. True, your radiator is not that old, but when you've tried everything else...

TYC 2778 costs about $75, appears to be same as Koyorad A13091 about $110.

Radiator replacement is not too difficult. This would be a good time to put on new coolant hoses and clamps if you haven't already done that.

Archived