LegacyGT.com

looking for salvaged vehicle auction advice

Has anyone here bought a salvaged car at an auction? Got any tips or things to be wary about? Is there anywhere we can look up salvaged car value similar to kbb? Or is there a way to guage about how much under KBB it is worth?

Looking to get the powertrain, interior, and some body parts from a totalled junkyard vehicle.

im one of the insurance adjusters that sends cars to the salvage yards. we generally get a bid from the auction company as to what they value the car at. im not quite sure what their formula is, but it obviously takes condition of the vehicle, areas of damage, potential hidden damage, options, and mileage. from what i can tell, they tend to price the vehicle based on what they could conservatively sell the remaining intact parts for.

as an individual looking for a specific vehicle for specific parts, you just have to determine its value to you. do your homework and set limits beforehand. the junk yard guys generally know what they're doing but if the car doesn't seem like something they'd sell parts on easily they may not be as interested. obviously, the general salvage yard will buy a lot of high volume vehicles (hondas/toyotas) but there are specialty yards too that like european cars or whatever. dont even bother trying to buy any vehicle which is commonly used as a taxi because the taxi guys will overpay because they're going to need the parts in their fleet regardless.

I'm in Boise ID and have a SWP 05 limited GT im currently parting out. No engine or transmission. All the undercarriage is there but interior is pretty much stripped. Not sure what you're looking but you're welcome to PM me and I can send you over some pictures

Archived