LegacyGT.com

TLDR: Scrape, grind, clunk, pop sound coming from rear. What is it?

Cerebral_1

cleardot.gif

Hey guys, wanted to get your input on a strange mechanical issue on my 05 OBXT (118k mi) that started just 3 days ago right before a road trip (of course!). I can hear a scrape-y squeal and clunk sound when rolling in neutral (when off the brakes) in a parking lot; it doesn't really change if I have the brakes applied or not. The noise stops when the car stops moving. Sounds like from driverside rear.

I don't think it's a wheel bearing, as I replaced with a brand new OEM unit on that side about 18 months ago or less than 20k miles ago. At first, I thought it was the squealers on the brake pads, indicating wear...but that doesn't explain the clunk, which sounds like something is broken.

Also, when going over bigger bumps or uneven pavement at highway speed, I get a grind-y "pop" sound from that side (audible at hwy speed). I'll jack it up and look underneath tomorrow. In the meantime, wanted to get your thoughts. What could this be?! Did my parking brake assembly explode? Could it be something else, maybe related to suspension? I'm hoping it's something stupid like a bent dustshield, but probably not.

Coincidentally (may or may not be related), around the same time this all started, my parking brake needed to be pulled up higher and higher to engage. Now, the brake dashlight comes on if I barely move the handle.

Parking brake might be rubbing, there's a manual adjustment gear behind a little rubber dust cover on the inside of the brakes. I think if you spin the gear down it should loosen up the parking brake. See if that fixes it (keep your car in gear so it doesn't roll away).

Bad sway bar end links and or bushings could be the cause of clunking over bumps. If you are still on the original end links and bushings they are likely shot. I have moogs which were inexpensive and much better than OEM replacements. You can get them at advanced auto parts or online.

Brought to you by Pfizer

Archived