LegacyGT.com

ARP head studs did i make the wrong choice

Hi i am doing the engine on my legacy and i finally got to the step to install my heads, I am using ARP head studs and after installing them and torquing the heads i am having serious regrets about my choice. Sorry for the long read i'm just scared to screw this up as no one at my dealership has ever used studs before.

1st problem is i received my first kit back in july of 2016 when i started gathering parts for my rebuild. I opened and inspected the studs and never thought to check the nuts, My kit had nuts with no threads cut in them. I found this out after trying to install my first head today so that resulted in a trip to EFI logics to buy another set.

My second problem is while doing my torquing of the nuts after using the supplied lubricant on block threads and nut threads and installing hand tight with an allen wrench. I had to torque them and loosen them at least once and double check the studs as during the initial torque. One nut would fall flat like the stud twisted further into the block but loosening all nuts and making sure the studs were tight i could get 30,60,90 on the second attempt no problem.

Is this normal or did i just screw up my head gaskets?

Thanks everyone for any help and sorry for the long post.

I'll update this first when calling ARP a person always answer the phone never a machine this is a very nice touch. I was dealer with a supervisor and he said we would refund me the most expensive set of head studs when i returned them for the missing threads in the nuts that's great for me and my wallet.

Second for having the torquing issue he had me pull my heads back off and inspect for grease under the washer as they are not supposed to have grease there as it can allow the washer to rotate and cause reading issues. This was my cause i changed my head gaskets just to be safe made sure the washer and head were clean and i had no issues getting he heads to torque to spec this time.

Archived