LegacyGT.com

satellite radio antenna terrible?

Are you positive it's a hardware problem and not a signal problem.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk

I have been in contact with SiriusXM a lot about this problem. At just about every stage we refreshed the signal multiple times. The one thing I haven't tried is sending them a "muting" report--You can send them a report saying that the signal drops out in specific places.. Then they send someone to check those spots and adjust adjust something in the signal if they detect it. Random dropouts are consistent and unpredictable. There are a few of those predictable places in my habitual driving, typically a city block long or less but they never dropped out while I was driving my previous car. I will make that report but the spots generally change when I try something like move the original antenna or attach the aftermarket one. But the worst of the problem there is always the random dropout that happens anywhere, anytime. So, the short answer, FLegacy, is, no, not positive but I don't know what else to try regarding the random, anywhere-can-happen dropouts. I am going to send a muting report, though, just to see what happens in those specific places.

When I googled xm signal drop out there were a few links of recent complaints in increasing signal dropping.

SiriusXM has already replied to my muting report today. They said that if I am not driving on mountainous areas or in deeply forested areas when I experience the problem (I'm not) they attribute it to the Sirius and XM networks being integrated into one SiriusXM satellite network. They surmise that my suburban and urban experience of signal dropping is due to that, and is presumably temporary. I can only say in my case the issue perfectly coincided with my switching from a Hyundai with a rooftop sharkfin antenna to my newer Subaru. And it has lasted 10 months.

Also, I have called and spoke with SiriusXM technical support more times than I can begin to count and not one rep has ever once suggested this as a reason I might be having a problem, even after I told them I had had a Subaru dealer diagnostic the system in the car and they found it working. This of course does not mean it isn't possible. My friend up the street driving in the same area with a rooftop antenna has no problem with dropouts. I still suspect the Subaru module for 2010-2014 Legacys that is built to go in after the car comes out of the factory is just not a great unit. No other forum member has mentioned using it that I can find, I would be curious to know their experience.

My problem with dropouts in satellite radio in my Legacy is over, suggesting my last hypothesis was correct; that the problem is that the Subaru receiver made for this generation of Legacys (made by Clarion, actually) is just not very effective, with its own antenna or the aftermarket rooftop. Whether it's adequate with a Subaru original equipment rooftop antenna, I don't know. For 2013 that only came with the Legacy Limited. Anyway, the Sirius SXV300 tuner (not the plug-and-play unit) fits inside the dash but you have to use it with a compatible aftermarket stereo unit. Changing the AM/FM receiver/ Bluetooth unit is not that great an expense if you are planning to drive the car for a long time. A mail-in rebate (at least when you buy it at Crutchfield.com)in effect right now covers the whole cost of the Sirius tuner. What I was worried about was losing the steering controls sound control functions for satellite. But it turns out there is an adaptor you can get that will hook up most units and my steering wheel controls are fully functional with the new system, including the Bluetooth. New gear installed (but with the same Sirius antenna I had tried with the SUbaru Satellite box) I drove around all my usual paths this weekend (and through a rainstorm) and experienced virtually no dropouts at all, comparable to the performance of my previous sharkfin-antenna-equipped Hyundai. Thanks, everyone, for your responses and interest.

• 1 year later...

My XM radio dropouts are increasing and always in the same places. Now my other car 2016 Hyundai Sonata is also starting to have dropouts in the same places ((although not as frequently) as the 2013 Subaru legacy. XM Tech service is useless.

Can somebody pass me the link to XM where they sent out a tech to check the signal in the dropout areas?

Archived