LegacyGT.com

Error Codes: P0700, P1710 but nothing

zbRocket

I own Subaru Legacy GT 09. A couple a weeks ago CEL came on with At Oil Temp and ABS flashing. When you turn off the car and then turn it back on, AOT and ABS lights came off but after driving a little, they both come back on.

Took it to two different mechanics and they both said that they read the errors and initial thoughts where that it was a transmission problem but both said they could not find anything wrong with the car. One of them completely took out the transmission checked for bad wires and such, but still came back with nothing. He changed the filter and trans oil just because it needed a change. After driving it, the car seems to still drive fine. Don't notice any problems when the car is changing gears. The mechanic said it might be the sensor itself but he wasn't 100% sure, so he didn't want to change it and charge me for it, then to come out that that is not the problem. My car has about 115k in miles and the error codes I get are P0700 and P1710.

Has anyone come across this problem? Or maybe have an idea on what it might be? I hear that the sensor will cost me around $800-1100 if that is the problem.

• 6 months later...
  • 1 year later...

Hi,

Sorry for the late reply. Just wanted to link to a fix in case someone stumbles across this post.

If you have the p1710 code, it is due to "torque converter turbine 2 speed signal circuit malfunction". This is a small HALL effect sensor bolted onto the back of the valve body in the 5eat. In the '08 and up cars it can be replaced individually without needing to replace the entire valve body.

I found the fix on subaruoutback forums here: https://www.subaruoutback.org/forums/109-gen-3-2005-2009/499945-repair-p1710-hard-shifts-5eat.html

The thread also has a couple of links where you can buy the sensor which is about $100 and looks identical to the stock sensor. There is also a DIY-type fix posted with a generic HALL efect sensor you can get from Amazon.

Hope this helps someone.

Archived