LegacyGT.com

my new 18" wheels and questions

geddyup

So I finally called the tire rack and ordered my new SSR GT7(18x8 with 225/40/18 tires) wheelset. I used a little less expensive tire called the firestone wide ovel with a W rating. I ordered Thursday and they arrived monday morning. Great turnaround.

I have several questions.

If the wheels are bigger does that mean it takes more time to bring them up to speed?

If they are lighter then stock(they felt a ton lighter) wheels and tires will that compensate for my first questions.

The car looks tougher then ever and I cannot wait for my new exhaust upgrades to really stomp on it.

Thanks,

Patrick

In theory, any loss in acceleration should be offset in a gain in top speed. (plus lower cruising RPM’s on the highway, since you're basically changing your final drive ratio)

However, the differences between an 18” and 17” wheel shouldn’t be to dramatic, Especially considering the 18 most likely has a lower profile tire.

(and yes, those wheels should be a couple pounds lighter than stock)

those are nice wheels, do you have pictures of them on your car yet?

If the wheels are bigger does that mean it takes more time to bring them up to speed?

It Depends. Roational Inertia is proportional directly proportional to Mass but proportional to the square of the radius ( I = m *r * r). In order to figure out the improvement theoretically you would need to have a cross section showing how the mass was distributed in the old tire/wheel combination and the new tire wheel combination. (and someone who remembers Calc 3&4).

The weight difference with tirs was almost 10lbs per wheel.

I just looked at the specs. Wheels are 17.2 and tires are 24, so call it 41 lbs and change. The stock wheels and tires are about 43-44lbs, so you are actually about 3lbs lighter per corner. Not alot, but enough to offset the higher gearing of the larger tire size.

The tires are almost the same as the bridgestone just for less cost.

The reviews have been good and consistant as well.

With the way I drive I should be changing them next year anyways

12 bikes(where the wheels and tires cost more then my car) and one fast car

Archived