LegacyGT.com

'05 2.5l gt clicking noise under throttle.

Hey All!

So anyone that has owned one of these for any length of time knows they make some weird noises and it can be tricky to narrow them down.

I'll do my best explain it, feel free to ask for any additional details.

It is a 05, 2.5 gt wagon with 5eat, 170,000 miles. Mostly stock.

When does it happen?

When on throttle, moving and in gear. It does not happen when coasting, in neutral, parked, or gas breaking. Seems more prevalent in 1-3rd gear. Happens hot or cold.

Where does the sound come from?

Hard to tell because I have to be in motion, but it seems like it is at the front and more audible from the left than right side.

Any recent changes?

Did the wheel bearings and cv joints about 12,000 miles ago. The noise only started two days ago.

Describe the sound.

Ticking or rattling. It is not dependant on speed, amount of throttle, or RPM. Seems to happen more in low gears.

Other symptoms?

I have plenty of other little issues, oil leaks and power steering leak.

Only thing that's seems like it could be related is a squeaking noise when backing up that started about a week before.

Your thoughts?

I'm afraid it is a transmission issue. I've had valve ticks, wheel bearing issues, brake noise, and turbo ticks before and could identify them pretty easy, but this doesn't seem to follow any of those patterns.

Any help or insight is greatly appreciated!

• 3 months later...
Hey All!

So anyone that has owned one of these for any length of time knows they make some weird noises and it can be tricky to narrow them down.

I'll do my best explain it, feel free to ask for any additional details.

It is a 05, 2.5 gt wagon with 5eat, 170,000 miles. Mostly stock.

When does it happen?

When on throttle, moving and in gear. It does not happen when coasting, in neutral, parked, or gas breaking. Seems more prevalent in 1-3rd gear. Happens hot or cold.

Where does the sound come from?

Hard to tell because I have to be in motion, but it seems like it is at the front and more audible from the left than right side.

Any recent changes?

Did the wheel bearings and cv joints about 12,000 miles ago. The noise only started two days ago.

Describe the sound.

Ticking or rattling. It is not dependant on speed, amount of throttle, or RPM. Seems to happen more in low gears.

Other symptoms?

I have plenty of other little issues, oil leaks and power steering leak.

Only thing that's seems like it could be related is a squeaking noise when backing up that started about a week before.

Your thoughts?

I'm afraid it is a transmission issue. I've had valve ticks, wheel bearing issues, brake noise, and turbo ticks before and could identify them pretty easy, but this doesn't seem to follow any of those patterns.

Any help or insight is greatly appreciated!

Any updates? I just came across the post, and recently noticed the exact same issue with my 2005 LGT 5MT.

Some after market axles will make a clicking sound when taking off from a stop sign. May take a while for that to happen. Are they covered under warranty ?

I had one replaced because it started making a clicking sound.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

Archived