LegacyGT.com

What stage tune to get with an AP

Hey guys, so recently I had some engine failure so I upgraded to a fully built stage 2 short block. Right before my engine decided it was done, I also threw in an SPT intake. Now, I just ordered a V3 accessport and I am wondering on what tune I should get. I'm going to go with 91 octane, but I'm wondering what stage I should go. I read that it's recommended to go stage 2 if you have an intake and turbo back exhaust but I have stock exhaust. Only mods are the intake and the built block. Do I go with a stage 1 or stage 2 tune? Obviously not anything above 2. Thanks guys!!

If you've already invested in a built-block and an AP then your wisest decision would be to get an e-tune at minimum. Maybe another $150-200 investment to run less risk of ruining your new motor. The OTS maps are not designed perfectly. Also adding an intake without a tune can cause it to run lean which can in turn lead to engine damage. I'm not going so far as to say that caused the first engine to fail.

Hit up Cryotune or Tuning Alliance and they can get you setup with a custom calibrated map for your car that will be much safer than the stage 1 or 2 cobb maps.

Good luck with your build. I assume there are more mods in the way given the built short block

Thanks man!! Yeah I'll definitely do the safest option. I feel like going stage 2 right away would be idiotic. I'll need to get quite a few more mods to feel safe about that, and a lot more miles. I've had the car for 4 months and already around $7000 invested! Unintentionally that is. But yes many more mods to come. Thank you for the advice!

Stages arent something you feel, they are specific to the modifications on the car.

to put it simply:

Stage 1 - Tune. Stage 1+ is tune and intake

stage 2 - Tune and downpipe. Stage 2+ is tune downpipe and intake

anything above that you go to a protuner for. As Brian said, go to TA (who i use) or Cryo(another great tuner) and have them make a custom tune for your car and modifications. In the future, if you do more mods, talk to them and be sure you wont need a new tune for them. these cars are very sensitive and need tunes for most modifications

Archived