LegacyGT.com

Got Morimoto XB H seriers 6500k bulbs. How do I install them?

I have the factory HID light housing.. When I went to install them I was like Whaaaa? Feeling intimidated by this install. How do I even begin to open the housing? At this point, I wish I had the halogen that comes in the 2.5!

Any help would be appreciated. The bulbs also shipped with a weird harness that says needs to be used for the bulbs to work?

I have the factory HID light housing.. When I went to install them I was like Whaaaa? Feeling intimidated by this install. How do I even begin to open the housing? At this point, I wish I had the halogen that comes in the 2.5!

Any help would be appreciated. The bulbs also shipped with a weird harness that says needs to be used for the bulbs to work?

Owners manual says go to the dealer.

But all you have to do is:

1. Rotate the rear cap of the HID light assembly counter-clockwise about a 1/4 turn (the aluminum finned part that has a wiring harness plugged into it), it will then pop right out
  2. Unplug that housing (probably not required, but I did this), if I remember right you also unplug the wiring from the bulb at this point, and set the rear housing aside
  3. Release the spring clip holding bulb in place (squeeze the two ends toward the center I think?, been a while)
  4. Remove the bulb and swap it out
  5. Reverse the above

These instructions are from memory, I replaced them once, when I got the car in September, so been a while, just rotate the the rear housing and remove it and it becomes very simple to swap the bulb. Just make sure you wipe the new bulb well with alcohol swab, and wear nitrile or vinyl gloves to keep oils from your hands off the bulbs. A/V geeks will know why this is important.

JUST MAKE SURE NO POWER GETS TO THE BULBS/HARNESS WHILE YOU ARE UNPLUGGING THINGS, HID'S USE HIGH VOLTAGE, IT WILL ARC, AND THAT IS BAD.

You could disconnect the battery, I just made sure lights were off, car was off, and that was good enough for me.

PS: I ordered D4S Morimoto XB Xengreen 5500k bulbs from The Retrofit Source ($50 + shipping) they didn't come with any special wiring harness, they just swapped out with the OEM bulbs.

Owners manual says go to the dealer.

But all you have to do is:

1. Rotate the rear cap of the HID light assembly counter-clockwise about a 1/4 turn (the aluminum finned part that has a wiring harness plugged into it), it will then pop right out
  2. Unplug that housing (probably not required, but I did this), if I remember right you also unplug the wiring from the bulb at this point, and set the rear housing aside
  3. Release the spring clip holding bulb in place (squeeze the two ends toward the center I think?, been a while)
  4. Remove the bulb and swap it out
  5. Reverse the above

These instructions are from memory, I replaced them once, when I got the car in September, so been a while, just rotate the the rear housing and remove it and it becomes very simple to swap the bulb. Just make sure you wipe the new bulb well with alcohol swab, and wear nitrile or vinyl gloves to keep oils from your hands off the bulbs. A/V geeks will know why this is important.

JUST MAKE SURE NO POWER GETS TO THE BULBS/HARNESS WHILE YOU ARE UNPLUGGING THINGS, HID'S USE HIGH VOLTAGE, IT WILL ARC, AND THAT IS BAD.

You could disconnect the battery, I just made sure lights were off, car was off, and that was good enough for me.

PS: I ordered D4S Morimoto XB Xengreen 5500k bulbs from The Retrofit Source ($50 + shipping) they didn't come with any special wiring harness, they just swapped out with the OEM bulbs.

Thanks, gonna go try now.. I'm puzzled by this wiring harness... Maybe it has something to dowith the ( H ) series?

Archived