LegacyGT.com

Replacement Rotors

Today i went to Subaru to get regular maintenance, i felt a little shaking when i brake. They checked it out and said the rotors are blue. They quoted me 325 for from rotor replacement and 325 for the back. I check advance auto parts and they have rotors for 60. Any recommended rotors for 2016 Limited legacy.

Honestly, it is a Legacy, not a sports car, when I need to do the brakes, I will go to Autozone or the equivalent, and usually I ask what they have that fits, buy whatever is in the middle of the price range of the options available, and slap them on.

Most people take their car to a place like Midas or Monroe, and get ripped off with cheap crap at huge markups. Disc brakes can be swapped out super fast with hand tools, and you don't need fancy drilled or slotted rotors unless you like the look, and any good quality disc that they sell fitting the Legacy will be meeting OEM guidelines.

As a plus, I never really bother with turning rotors, when the car needs rotors, I just go buy some and slap them on, it is pretty cheap, pair of rotors, pads, and some lube for the sliding parts to keep it from sqeeking. Labor is the biggest cost, and it is time I can afford, knowing that when the job is done not only will the brakes be installed right, with correct torque on the caliper bolts, but also the lug nuts will be torqued correctly so I won't have ancillary damage from a moron working on my car.

PS: My daughters 2014 Honda Civic, dealer quoted her $125 to replace the air filter, I replaced it with a comparable ebay purchased air filter, $7.98 including shipping, and it took me all of 2 minutes to install it, given there were three clips I had to open and all.

You can go with cross drilled on front,as for rears I don't know if I wanna mess with it since it has electronic ebrakes,at least on mine.

Neither cross-drilled nor slotted rotors will "mess with" the electronic parking brake, which just needs some sort of rotor to clamp the pads against. Slots or holes shouldn't make the pads slip as long as the rotors are of OEM thickness.

I'm running slotted rear rotors and haven't had any problems with the ebrake or hill assist.

@redvenetian on Instagram

Neither cross-drilled nor slotted rotors will "mess with" the electronic parking brake, which just needs some sort of rotor to clamp the pads against. Slots or holes shouldn't make the pads slip as long as the rotors are of OEM thickness.

I'm running slotted rear rotors and haven't had any problems with the ebrake or hill assist.

Oh ok ,cool ya I have cross drilled on all my other vehicles,I'm planning on putting a set on front but I was just worried about the rear e brakes stuff..did I install yoursel or a shop?

Oh ok ,cool ya I have cross drilled on all my other vehicles,I'm planning on putting a set on front but I was just worried about the rear e brakes stuff..did I install yoursel or a shop?

Go for it!

I got a shop to do it, together with my fronts. More details in this big thread about brakes and rotors: https://r.tapatalk.com/shareLink?share_fid=5383&share_tid=241413&url=http%3A%2F%2Flegacygt%2Ecom%2Fforums%2Fshowthread%2Ephp%3Ft%3D241413&share_type=t

@redvenetian on Instagram

Today i went to Subaru to get regular maintenance, i felt a little shaking when i brake. They checked it out and said the rotors are blue. They quoted me 325 for from rotor replacement and 325 for the back. I check advance auto parts and they have rotors for 60. Any recommended rotors for 2016 Limited legacy.

I'm curious about mileage on your 2016. My brakes at almost 30,000 show very little wear, pads or rotors.

Having said that, when it's time, I will go to NTB. The Savage MM location has saved me hundreds on our Volvo with things like brakes, battery, etc., and they get their parts from the same place the Volvo dealer does.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

When it's time for me to get brakes (my last car, a Hyundai, didn't need front pads until around 45k), but I will generally go buy the parts from the dealer and do the install myself. I'm sure the cost isn't too bad, but you can also try looking online for the part number and do a cross-reference on Amazon or Rock Auto for the parts. That's how I get my 12-pk of oil filters that are subaru parts. Doing brake pads is almost as easy as doing your oil.

They checked it out and said the rotors are blue.

No one yet has stated the obvious: Before doing anything else, you need to find out why your rotors are blue. Blue indicates extreme overheating one or more times; you need to understand why.

"If you don't know where you're going, any road will take you there." ~ The Cheshire Cat (Alice in Wonderland)

spacer.png

Archived