LegacyGT.com

Misfire in cylinder 1 somewhere???

I have a 2008 Legacy 2.5i - the basics of the basic legacy...it runs fine and gives me a good mileage for my daily commute. One day, when I was driving home, I needed a little bit more hp to get onto the interstate and then my road warrior sputtered and then...check engine light went on...got home...put my obd to work and indicated number 1 cylinder misfire...so I replaced the plugs...thinking it could have been flooded that caused the misfire and probably busted the plug...still a misfire...switched wires...reset...still misfire...replaced coil...still misfire...only in cylinder 1...:eek:...so it's almost a complete tune-up...new plugs...new wires...new coil...STILL MISFIRE IN CYLINDER 1...:spin:...now comes cylinder pressure testing...showed a leak...took off cylinder head for both sides...sign of carbon build-up...burnt...had the cylinder head taken to a machine shop for cleaning and had the new valves installed...seal and valve guide in cylinder 1 needed replaced...set timing on TDC...buttoned it up...upon start-up and idle...it was still a bit rough...eventually...check engine light came on...guess what...cylinder one misfire...did a retard and also an advance on the timing belt by 1 tooth...thinking it could be mechanical...didn't work...got worst...then set it back to TDC on everything...back to misfire number 1 still...pressure tested all the cylinders...all pressures are good and the same as per manual...WHAT THE HECK AM I MISSING HERE???Just going bananas now...:confused:...anybody got any suggestion aside from picking my brains...all my hair are gone with this misfire in cylinder 1...I need misfire gurus here please...

checked the injector wiring connectors on the 1 & 3 side...no signs of corrosion build-up that could cause no contact of wiring connectors...had the wiring removed while idling...engine went a bit rough...re-installed while idling...went back to its low idle and misfire...that verifies to my basic knowledge that the injector is doing its job...rpm was below the norm...it was somewhere around 500 rpm...should be somewhere around 600 to 800 rpm...I think...BTW...this is a non-turbo engine...so it's indeed the basics of the basic engine...

had the wiring removed while idling...engine went a bit rough...re-installed while idling...went back to its low idle and misfire...that verifies to my basic knowledge that the injector is doing its job...

It could still be that the injector is failing; I'd swap 1-3 and see if your misfire moves.

Good luck!

hate to say it but, I've done just about everything conceivable to fix this misfire in cylinder 1...swapped plugs...swap wires...swap injectors between 1 & 3...replaced coil...replaced valves in cylinder 1...pressure tested all cylinders...all checked good...no leaks...compression test was done after installation of cylinder heads...all checked good or better than before I took it off...

bought this car used with 98k miles on it...150k miles later...she was still running good until this misfire started 2 months ago...it doesn't require to be filled up with super unleaded gas...I do put super unleaded once every 2 maybe 3 months...oil change every 4.5k miles...use synthetic blend...:confused:

this misfire is really making me think back during my navy days as a gas turbine electronics technician...troubleshooting down to the wire...it looks like it is pointing me to the ecu...:eek:

i'll start by unplugging the connectors and see if there was some sort of moisture that could have started all these headache...hopefully...connectors was just corroded with dirt or dried up moisture with dirt...

any suggestions or something I am missing...:spin:

Check for power and ground at the coil. I don't remember how many wires are on the connector but there's a signal wire as well. If you have power and ground you will need some wiring diagrams so you can ohm the signal wire from the coil connector to the ecu.

Archived