LegacyGT.com

Rear hub recommendations

When playing after a recent snowstorm, I let off the throttle when I should have added gas, swung the rear end too far, and tapped my rear wheel on a curb. The bearing is shot, verified while I had it off the ground for a sway bar upgrade this week.

So many brands of bearing/hub assemblies out there. Any brands particularly good or bad these days?

I installed 2 timkens in the rear over the summer, no complaints about them at all. Removing the old bearings with 195k is a different story though.. Ended up going out to buy an air hammer in the middle of the job, which made removal a piece of cake.

• I Donated Too

I use an inexpensive air chisel... put it on the side of the old bearing and brrrrrrrrrrapppp - shakes it loose and lets you get behind it. I have struggled with many bearing changes without this and using the tool is night and day and saves hours of frsutration. Can sometimes mess up the backing disk a little but I just bang that edge flat with a hammer on the ground and all is okay.

879686002772.jpg

In the picture above, second from top, you have the pointy attachment. My axles were stuck in the hubs, and on the ends of the axles there's a little indentation that you can press the pointy tip into, and use the air hammer to push them out of the old hubs.

• 2 weeks later...

I am seriously stoked. With apexi's help, I just learned the RIGHT way to pull a hub.

I was pulling a rear hub. After removing the 4 hub mounting bolts, I inserted an old set of front hub mounting bolts I had lying around. The difference is, the front bolts are longer. To use this technique on a front hub, I'd recommend finding some even longer bolts.

Then I tapped the bolt heads with the air hammer. Turns out I only needed 2 bolts. Brap, brap, and the hub was out. Seriously, it took less time than it's taking me to type this sentence.

Man, do I feel dumb for the half hour I spent trashing my shoulder the last time I pulled a hub with a slide hammer.

Archived