LegacyGT.com

05 LGT Time for new short block

Well finally dropped the engine in and got it running. Pretty uneventful with exception of finding minor coolant leak at turbo and apparently pinched the oil cooler gasket causing an oil leak there. All were easily fixed although somewhat difficult to track down. Break-in tune was initially showing high af learning so had to track down the source which ended up being a leak at the corner of the stock intercooler where the metal and plastic tanks are attached ( at tubro to intercooler area). Also had vacuum leak at driver's side front fuel injector (new design id1000's and iag tgv deletes) found that this was somewhat common and fixed easily with addition of washer at fuel rail. Also had pre 2 senor leak at cross pipe and O2 sensor. That about sums it up. Sounds easier than it actually was but I feel I know the car more intimately now lol. Now the long process of putting miles on it before taking to Dyno tune. Will update with pics and keep thread updated.

Wanna give a big thanks to everyone one on the forum. If it wasn't for your knowledge and willingness to help others this transplant wouldnt have ended successfully.

Where are you getting it tuned at?

Boxer4racing. Figured since I'm new to Subarus and turbo cars in general my best bet would be to establish a relationship with someone somewhat local.

New update and questions.

Of course I had things within normal limits for AF learning etc and then I found a slight coolant leak that I probably should have left well enough alone and now my AF learning is all out of wack. I've rechecked everything associated with ic, tb, turbo inort, tb hose etc that was involved in removal of ic. Even went with Chevy thermostat gasket for turbo to ic connection in fear of misalignment. Can't figure out the cause. Have a few questions. Initially I had added some 110 Oct. Gas to tank due to not being able to fully drain tank and fear of bad gas. Could this have masked the af issue initially? 2nd question. Could there be no leak or what ever at all but because I didn't inform my tuner for the initial base tune for break in that my 16g turbo has bilet wheels and different wheel counts etc could be causing the discrepancy? Thanks for any advice or suggestions I'm totally stumped on this one.

• 1 month later...
Ended up getting everything back to normal. Appears Therese was a slight leak at may sensor. Tightened things up there and reapplied some silicone lubricant to the boring which sealed thing up well. Was able to take the car to get tuned and is running fairly well. Prior to the rebuild didn't have much time with the car but seems to have a stumble at 2700rpms at times if just cruising in town. Doesn't seem to be an issue in on ramp situations or when you're giving it moderate throttle. Does this sound like the typical stumble these cars are known for or an issue with tune? All in all the car feels strong and it's been nice to drive lately. Wanna say thanks again to all the help an encouragement I've received from members. Appreciate you all.

05's can be tuned to not have that stumble. My 09 has it very slightly, the passenger doesn't feel it but I do. But that's the type person I am.

My wagon run's smooth like a NA car.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

Archived