LegacyGT.com

New to me Baja

http://i272.photobucket.com/albums/jj182/whitrzac/Baja/20170204_095835_zpsugfv9u4i.jpg

My new 2003 baja sport:)

5spd

A few quick questions...

Are the connectors/wiring there for the heated windshield and mirrors?

Are the dual beam headlights from the outback/classic any better?

Is the wiring there for heated seats?

• 2 weeks later...

Just saw your post on scoobytruck about hitch hardware, but I'm a member here and not there (yet). Contrary to what the instructions would have you believe (for both the OEM and Curt hitches), you actually need M12-1.75 bolts at least 180mm long to thread into the weld nuts on top of the bumper beam, rather than the 1/2"-13 x 7" bolts that come in the box with the hitch. Discovered this myself on Friday, actually- got about a turn in on one side, couldn't start the bolt on the other side, happened to have a long enough M12 bolt around, and it threads right in no problem. The weld nuts seem to have a deformed thread locking feature, so the bolts will eventually get hard to turn, but you won't be using the ol' silver loctite to hold them in place like you would if you forced SAE hardware in there. I'm planning on swinging through Fastenal sometime this week to grab a pair of these bolts- 180mm may be better, but 190mm is a couple cents cheaper and they have 'em on the shelf locally, so I'll just add washers or cut to length as necessary.

Not sure who thought it would be a good idea to call out inch hardware for a metric vehicle...

Now I'm thoroughly confused. The inch hardware I got with the hitch made it maybe a turn and a half in on the one side and wouldn't even fit on the other, and the M12 bolt went in on both sides easy as you please with no thread cleanup at all. Made it up to flush with the top of the nut on both sides before getting snug, and kept turning past that point without goobering up the threads on the bolt.

Wonder if someone "fixed" the "issue" of using SAE hardware somewhere between '03 and '06.

I didn't have long enough hardware on hand, so installation is shelved until that happens. I'm not too concerned about getting up to the recommended torque values, though- M12 is roughly the same diameter as a 1/2" bolt, and C10.9 is pretty comparable to grade 8 as well. The instructions with the Curt hitch I bought say to crank the hardware down to 110 ft-lb, which is just the standard recommended dry torque for a grade 8 1/2"-13 bolt, M12-1.75 C10.9 is something like 88 ft-lb. Between the 6.5" of bolt stretch and the fact that I'm not re-threading a nut, I don't anticipate any issues with those bolts giving up.

Archived