LegacyGT.com

EJ207/257 swap?

If you have a 2005 or 2006 Legacy GT, you already have an STI shortblock from the factory, AFAIK. You only need a new shortblock if the original one is shot. A lot of people have not had to do a shortblock/rebuild yet.

Just about anything is possible with enough money. But there are many downsides. It costs more than you think it will. It takes longer than you think it will. You have to deal with electrical and wiring. Custom tuning on an uncommon configuration. You have to comply with emissions and inspection laws in a lot of places. And having an oddball engine could be a PITA if you needs parts or service in the middle of a long trip. Or just to get to work the next day.

Not trying to ruin your fun, but I agree with Max that a GT would be a better starting point with a lot less hassle overall.

The general rule is if you want a GT, buy one, it's not cost effective to try and build your own from a 2.5i.

So Im looking at trading mine in for an 06 LGT limited with 133k. They want $6,999 for it, it has new head gaskets, timing belt, and water pump. Is that a relatively fair price? im not sure what the GT's go for compared to the regular legacy's.

If compression and leakdown numbers are good, and the turbo has no shaft play then that sounds like a solid car. If you're not mechanically inclined, you will want to have a reputable mechanic look it over on top of those items.

Brought to you by Pfizer

Archived