LegacyGT.com

Ej22t pistons 400whp capable with coating/treatment?

Coatings and treatments to increase lifespan of oem ej22t pistons for a 400whp application.

Curious if anyone has any thoughts on maybe doing a wpc treatment on pistons and rings maybe wrist pins and running E85 to slam boost into these pistons.

Engine is 100k ej222, case + crank, STI rods, ej22t pistons

Running WRX oil pump and the ACL X series bearings with +.001 oil clearances

Yes I should just get some drop in forged pistons, but I don't want to.

Sure you want to run such low compression?

What heads do you plan to use? Really doubt the stock heads will support 400whp.

Obligatory '[URL="http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/2008-gh8-238668.html?t=238668"]build thread[/URL]' Increased capacity to 2.7 liters, still turbo, but no longer need spark plugs.

Sure you want to run such low compression?

What heads do you plan to use? Really doubt the stock heads will support 400whp.

I'd rather run compression closer to 8.5, but it's worth it to not have to buy $600 pistons. Realistically I'll only be running 350whp max. Using ej25d heads with minor porting here and there. I'm going to see what the limits of the STi yellow top injectors are, then see how much more I can squeeze with an emanage ultimate and decide if I can go bigger for injectors without a full standalone. I expect 300whp out of the STi yellows and a ported vf39 rebuilt with a billet 18g compressor wheel and cover on pump gas.

Cheap, fast, reliable. Pick any two.

I'm definitely concerned with cheap and fast. This car is my winter beater. I have 3 spare engines and just about a full parts car minus trans, but expect to break that within 1000 miles of the engine getting dialed in. The goal of this build is to make the project as affordable and repeatable as possible with a hard power goal of 300 whp with a reliability benchmark of a stock 150k mile ej205 motor. I understand that an outright swap is easier and most often cheaper, but I believe once the ej205 fails for the first time the cost equation becomes skewed in favor of using the DOHC hybrid. I had intentions of using a phase 1 ej22e and leaving the bottom end stock until failure, but ended up buying a low mileage ej222 for a reasonable price unknowingly. My mistake, but I think the power capabilities are similar with using the ej22t pistons. I want to bring back the old hybrid days.

The concern is that with such low compression, and we are talking below 8:1, the car will be a dog off boost. EJ25D heads work well on the 96mm bore IIRC but the chambers are quite large. Spend the time and calculate the final CR. I don't have time right now.
Obligatory '[URL="http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/2008-gh8-238668.html?t=238668"]build thread[/URL]' Increased capacity to 2.7 liters, still turbo, but no longer need spark plugs.

I appreciate the insight and understand I am making a huge compromise with the low compression ratio. I am currently scheming on ways to come up with $ for the forged pistons. There are additional financial constraints on me at this time because of my upcoming wedding for which we are receiving little to no help from family paying for. I've also been hoarding parts for this build going on 2 years now and really wanted to get the boosted motor running by summer even if just on vf39 wastegate pressure. I have a large wedding payment coming up in April that will be the deciding factor as to whether or not I can swing the forged pistons.

Archived