LegacyGT.com

Eyesight vs Acurawatch

This is a post I will update after I get some more time driving my wife's new 2017 Acura RDX with Acurawatch/Tech package.

Acura is an upscale Honda, so I am guessing the available Honda systems are similar or the same as that in the Acurawatch system?

The adaptive cruise in the Acura is completely different from the Subaru version:

• Interestingly the buttons for lane control and adaptive cruise are very similar and located about the same place on the Acura's steering wheel as on my Legacy, so the ergonomics are similar.

• The follow distance for adaptive cruise is more adjustable on the Acura, but it follows the car in front at a much further distance. I found myself shortening the distance (I think there are 5-6 adjustments in the Acura compared to 3 with Eyesight) because with longer follow distances I worry on the highway people would feel free to cut in front, and at side road speeds people would pull in front of us because it was leaving 4-5 car lengths for them to do so. I think Eyesight compensates for speed much better (shortening follow distance as speed decreases), and the gap between you and the car you are following is safer, even though you are closer, because it discourages idiots from cutting you off.

• I tried to use Acurawatch adaptive cruise like I use my Legacy Eyesight, letting it follow a car in front at non highway speeds (45mph then down to a complete stop at a traffic light). However, this caused the Acurawatch system to completely freak out. It started emergency braking and flashing/beeping warning signs that I needed to brake immediately. In other words, Eyesight handles lower speed adaptive cruise almost like a self-driving car, Acurawatch does not want to do that, at all...

• Lane assist works pretty much the same in both cars, although Acurawatch engages at 45mph, Eyesight at 40mph.

• The blindspot monitor is on the pillar of the Acura, not the mirror...

• Lane control is less aggressive resisting lane changes (without signaling) than with my Legacy.

• Acurawatch does not have the "vehicle has moved" signal that Eyesight gives you, if traffic ahead of you starts to move from a stop and you do not get on the gas.

As far as unrelated items, the NA 3.5 liter V6 with Auto transmission has a Sport mode, and paddle shifters, and is pretty peppy. LED headlights are awesome both low and high beam (as good as my OEM HID), interior comfort is good, it is a bit noisy on the highway compared to previous SUV (BMW X3).

Feel free to post comparisons to other Adaptive Cruise systems from other manufacturers here, so people know when to let the car drive itself, vs not...wife was a bit unhappy with all the warning signals when I tested the Acurawatch like it was Eyesight...

RDX has a whole host of issues that Acura seems to be reluctant to address... the last model I drove was a '15

each system has their shortcomings but the end result is how they are rated by IIHS... I liked the eyesight as it sees what you see and IMO does a overall better job than radar based systems.

on a side note Acura does not allow cruise control below 30 so that might be why you are having issues

Tesla imho has done a lot of damage to the industry with their auto pilot so it is not surprising to see the Acura behave differently...

as for the 3.5L yeah it goes like no tomorrow but you have to remember that it is primarily a FWD setup with a slip and grip AWD system... if you get stuck in snow, that thing will NOT get you unstuck like an Outback

I've been thinking about this and since almost every car is now coming with this type of safety package that engages at 35mph isn't there a need now to increase speed limits? Whats the point of having to spend money on features you can only use on some roads?

Emergency braking happens no matter what speed you are going (both Eyesight and Acurawatch have emergency braking and detect vehicles in front of the car), so your premise is flawed. For the system (Eyesight specifically) to help the car avoid hitting something you are driving toward you would need to lower all speed limits to 30-35mph or less and that is on dry pavement with good tires.

From what I have seen tested online, at speeds 35mph and slower (assuming normal traction, obviously on snow or ice this is not true), Eyesight can completely stop the car on its own without any driver input -- it actually ignores driver accelerator input in emergency braking scenarios -- if it detects you are approaching a stopped vehicle or wall/object.

If you are on the highway driving 65mph, not following a car immediately in front of you, and you faint while your car approaches traffic ahead that is fully stopped, it will a) at its range pick up the car in front b) determine its speed (or that it is stopped) c) start warning you and start braking d) freak out if you are not also actively slamming on your brakes and do it for you (warning lights, beeping, full emergency braking with ABS flashing, the works).

This means you will still drive right into the cars parked in front of you, but probably at 30mph or slower (haven't done the math to determine actual speed). While not perfect, it sure beats smacking those cars at 65mph.

And in same scenario on the highway, if your car is following another car in front (using adaptive cruise) and the other driver notices the problem up ahead and starts slowing your car will slow right along with them, even if they are panic braking hard, so Eyesight will possibly bring the car to a complete and safe stop without any input from you. This is because humans can determine the threat of stopped traffic while driving at highway speeds sooner than Eyesight will detect the problem, so if you are following a good driver it gives the system more time to respond and slow the car.

I assume if I ignored the Acurawatch warnings the other day the RDX would have entered into emergency braking mode as well, but I was already on the brakes (I was prepared to stop, just wanted to see how Acurawatch adaptive cruise handled the same scenario as my Legacy).

What is "inactive" at lower speeds in the Acura is adaptive cruise. In my defense, I was just driving it to test out Acurawatch's version of adaptive cruise, I didn't read the manual, and was trying to compare its systems to the Eyesight system. If it was my car and daily driver, I would have boned up on how Acurawatch works before testing it out.

I used eyesight for stop and go traffic out of Boston going no faster than 25mph. It worked very well and came to complete stops and accelerating when required. Some braking was a little harsh but overall it was great to use in rush hour traffic

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

I used eyesight for stop and go traffic out of Boston going no faster than 25mph. It worked very well and came to complete stops and accelerating when required. Some braking was a little harsh but overall it was great to use in rush hour traffic

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

+1million. I've been using it like this for about 2yrs now and it is easily my favorite feature on the car. My stress level has decreased and leg fatigue is now very minimal.

Emergency braking happens no matter what speed you are going (both Eyesight and Acurawatch have emergency braking and detect vehicles in front of the car), so your premise is flawed. For the system (Eyesight specifically) to help the car avoid hitting something you are driving toward you would need to lower all speed limits to 30-35mph or less and that is on dry pavement with good tires.

From what I have seen tested online, at speeds 35mph and slower (assuming normal traction, obviously on snow or ice this is not true), Eyesight can completely stop the car on its own without any driver input -- it actually ignores driver accelerator input in emergency braking scenarios -- if it detects you are approaching a stopped vehicle or wall/object.

If you are on the highway driving 65mph, not following a car immediately in front of you, and you faint while your car approaches traffic ahead that is fully stopped, it will a) at its range pick up the car in front b) determine its speed (or that it is stopped) c) start warning you and start braking d) freak out if you are not also actively slamming on your brakes and do it for you (warning lights, beeping, full emergency braking with ABS flashing, the works).

This means you will still drive right into the cars parked in front of you, but probably at 30mph or slower (haven't done the math to determine actual speed). While not perfect, it sure beats smacking those cars at 65mph.

And in same scenario on the highway, if your car is following another car in front (using adaptive cruise) and the other driver notices the problem up ahead and starts slowing your car will slow right along with them, even if they are panic braking hard, so Eyesight will possibly bring the car to a complete and safe stop without any input from you. This is because humans can determine the threat of stopped traffic while driving at highway speeds sooner than Eyesight will detect the problem, so if you are following a good driver it gives the system more time to respond and slow the car.

I assume if I ignored the Acurawatch warnings the other day the RDX would have entered into emergency braking mode as well, but I was already on the brakes (I was prepared to stop, just wanted to see how Acurawatch adaptive cruise handled the same scenario as my Legacy).

What is "inactive" at lower speeds in the Acura is adaptive cruise. In my defense, I was just driving it to test out Acurawatch's version of adaptive cruise, I didn't read the manual, and was trying to compare its systems to the Eyesight system. If it was my car and daily driver, I would have boned up on how Acurawatch works before testing it out.

I don't have any questions about how well it works or when it does, i am only asking if these features will warrant even a 5mph raise in speed limits seeing as other countries have trusted their drivers.

I don't have any questions about how well it works or when it does, i am only asking if these features will warrant even a 5mph raise in speed limits seeing as other countries have trusted their drivers.

Um, no.

Why would they raise the speed limit if one of the (currently) best safety systems sold won't prevent accidents at speeds above 30mph?

Archived