LegacyGT.com

New 'scoob owner problems

Alright, something I've been wondering...

On most cars they have the wiper speed settings as; INT, LO, HI. on INT you get to choose the speed the wiper

blades turn at. from reaaaaallly slow, to slow, then if you want faster you switch to low, then high right?

Well, I can't seem to find the slider thing or whatever to change the speed on the INT wiper speed option. its as

if I dont have a choice between INT, LOW, HIGH. Are these cars supposed to be like that? or is there a lever or

something that i cant see or was broken by the previous owner?

Some older Subaru base models from your car's generation came with a single fixed speed intermittent wiper switch. I guess variable speed was considered a luxury feature at the time.

You can get the variable control, but it will require swapping in another wiper switch from a compatible car, such as a Legacy GT wagon of the same vintage. You would have to source a used one from a recycler.

If you search here or some of the other Subaru message boards, you can find write-ups from people who have done this.

Some older Subaru base models from your car's generation came with a single fixed speed intermittent wiper switch. I guess variable speed was considered a luxury feature at the time.

You can get the variable control, but it will require swapping in another wiper switch from a compatible car, such as a Legacy GT wagon of the same vintage. You would have to source a used one from a recycler.

If you search here or some of the other Subaru message boards, you can find write-ups from people who have done this.

Well if that isn't the gayest thing I've read in a long time then what is lol. But I suppose. Thanks for letting me know!

If you mean that was kind of lame of Subaru to leave those off, I would have to agree. It's not that hard to change, though. That's one good thing about Subarus -- lots of interchangeable parts.

I found a switch from a '98 forester. Would that work for our cars?

Yeah, thats good. :)

Looks like you'll need part number 83113AA520. Here is some more info:

The type of switch used in this swap will fit 1990-99 Legacies, with or w/o airbags, and 1993-97 Imprezas (the model years are valid for N. America). The respective part numbers for sedans and wagons (or sedans with JDM rear glasswipe) were given in the preceding posts: 83113AC480 w/o rear wiper and 83113AA520 w. rear wiper . If you want a salvage part, look in any Legacy LS, LSi, and probably GT, as well as 1998-99 OB Ltd.

The switch has a long "pigtail" that runs along the steering column and plugs into the instrument panel harness at the bottom, above the pedals.

See:

https://forums.nasioc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=559808&page=2

http://www.northursalia.com/modifications/interior/wiper/wiper.html

I always wondered this. I have three wagons, a Legacy L, a Legacy Outback Base, and a Legacy Outback Limited. I'm going to have to check my Limited to see if it has the variable wiper arm. It drives me nuts that my Outback base doesn't have variable wipers. I keep having to flip it on and off in a light sprinkle. Since the Limited wagon is going to be an off-road project, I just might rob the assembly from it for my Outback when I go out to swap the leather interior.

I always wondered this. I have three wagons, a Legacy L, a Legacy Outback Base, and a Legacy Outback Limited. I'm going to have to check my Limited to see if it has the variable wiper arm. It drives me nuts that my Outback base doesn't have variable wipers. I keep having to flip it on and off in a light sprinkle. Since the Limited wagon is going to be an off-road project, I just might rob the assembly from it for my Outback when I go out to swap the leather interior.

Lol yeah. I turn it on and off in a light sprinkle and its very annoying. Good thing MilesA put some killer info up there for us to use. I'll certainly try to do that.

• 6 months later...

Has anyone here actually done the variable intermittent wiper conversion? I would love to convert the Legacy L wagon to variable without having to remove the steering wheel. Looks like you can buy the whole assembly with both stalks (which would require removing the steering wheel to replace), but is the wiper control removable from that assembly?

Just curious if anyone has done this swap and can give some pointers on it.

...Just curious if anyone has done this swap and can give some pointers on it.

Have a look at those links I posted earlier to northursalia.com. There is a guy that did this swap and has part numbers, etc. in his post over there.

Have a look at those links I posted earlier to northursalia.com. There is a guy that did this swap and has part numbers, etc. in his post over there.

The NASIOC thread does give some pretty good details of the installation where the steering wheel wasn't removed. That was for an Impreza- I wonder if anything different installing on a Legacy (I'm guessing not?)

The intermittent controlled speed stalk is plug and play, no other modification necessary other than replacing the stalk and plugging it in. My new, to me, Forester has them and it combines selectable speed for both the front and rear wiper. I am about to do the conversion with my Outback. You need to find an Outback Limited or Legacy GT to get the stalk from. Its 4 screws to unbolt the lower part of the column and 2 screws that hold the stalk in place. It'll take you about 20 minutes to do it

Actually I was on Ebay last night and there was an auction about to end for the entire assembly (both stalks) from a '98 Outback limited so I decided to grab it ended up being $31.50. When it arrives, I can take a closer look at how everything goes together.

Setnev- let us know how the swap goes for you on your Outback.

Setnev- let us know how the swap goes for you on your Outback.

Will do. I'm up to my neck in projects to do over the next few weeks.

I just bought a 02 Forester yesterday that I'm in the process of tracking down a 5MT for. I went to the junkyard today and found a 98 Legacy GT with a 5MT with only 134k miles on it that a rod went straight through the top of the block. I started to remove the transmission but I didn't have a hammer to remove the pins for the front axles or a 12mm wrench to get at the mid-shaft bolts to remove it. I am trying to find what info I need to make this transmission work for this Forester. It has a Centerforce performance clutch sticker on the back of it, so I'm hoping that it has that clutch installed because it's mine if it is.

Archived