LegacyGT.com

picky with 02 sensors

I guess I'll get on that when my seals arrive- thatd be a good enough reason to take all that crud off. I'd replace them while the front of the motor is naked, and reinstall everything correctly- would I need a new tensioner? If these cars use the tensioners with a pin.

Also, on the running rich part. I feel like the fron cat MIGHT be dead. On a car with 144k is that a good possibility? It feels like it might be clogged. Since, i have to o

Press around 50% throttle to keep up with usual traffic- and they still ALL pass me by. No CEL (MIL) at all though through it all, weird. Could I just gut my front cat and put a spacer on the rear o2 sensor and call it done? Or what do you think?

I hear lots of people say 200k for the useful life of a cat. But various things could shorten that. Mine were fine until my slipped timing made it run super rich like 100 miles per tank level of rich. I did about 500 miles during that - test driving to figure things out. During that both my cats got really plugged. So bad I couldn't fix them, so they are replaced.

I would do the tensioner with the rest. You can re-cock it and pin it. I did when I replaced my belt and seals and pumps and idlers. Now I regret it because I fear that's why my belt jumped.

Last I checked mine took 25% to 30% on level ground to hold 75 mph, but that was some time ago. I'd have to get on the highway to make sure I'm not remembering something from before my last major rework. (Harder than it sounds as I live up in the mountains so level hichway is hard to find.)

I hear lots of people say 200k for the useful life of a cat. But various things could shorten that. Mine were fine until my slipped timing made it run super rich like 100 miles per tank level of rich. I did about 500 miles during that - test driving to figure things out. During that both my cats got really plugged. So bad I couldn't fix them, so they are replaced.

I would do the tensioner with the rest. You can re-cock it and pin it. I did when I replaced my belt and seals and pumps and idlers. Now I regret it because I fear that's why my belt jumped.

Last I checked mine took 25% to 30% on level ground to hold 75 mph, but that was some time ago. I'd have to get on the highway to make sure I'm not remembering something from before my last major rework. (Harder than it sounds as I live up in the mountains so level hichway is hard to find.)

Haha I'm getting about 140 with a full tank. And because of my situation I've been driving for about 500 miles too like this so would you think they might be shot too? If my cel isn't on, would my timing be jumped too?

I sometimes got check engine for cyl 3 misfire, but mostly no light. They could be plugged. I seem to have made enough soot to plug my muffler as well as the cats. Anyway, it was running 6.5 PSI inside the exhaust with the muffler on and more like 2.5 with it off. So I made a straight through muffler and now it sounds kinda like
without the turbo sounds. :)

My muffler tip is as black as night lol. Might do the same, i see a lot of headers that have the o2 bung on the collector as if they imply that youd be running catless- if I would forget about a front cat and just run a rear highflow cat, would I just have to worry about putting a spacer and such on the rear sensor? Like, would the front o2 sensor be alright or would I have to put a spacer on it too or something of the like

I don't think you'd need a spacer up front, but I don't see how the O2 could be on the header. That would put it in conflict with the Trans. Unless a header like that comes with a 'test pipe' to fill the gap where the front cat used to be. I don't know what you'd need to do about the rear O2. I think as long as there is one cat it should still detect whatever so you wouldn't get P0420, but I'm not sure.

Yeah when you search up EL headers for a forester, or any dualport ej youll see that some are on the header, past the collector i think but theyre in a spot where trans clearance wouldnt be an issue. Awesome. Im sure ill have to change my cats so when that comes around I'll slap some header(s?) On it with a nice exhaust system. :)

Archived