LegacyGT.com

Will they fit?

I am about to purchase Avid AV20 18x8.5 +33 for my 4th gen leggy.

1. Will they clear the springs on the inside?

2. Will they be too wide for just rolling and slight pulling?

Been researching and can't find an answer with this specific size and offset. Thanks!

Bigleben, I've looked there, too. Just wondering if anyways as experience with close to this size wheel. Don't want to drop $1,000+ for something non-viable.

GTeaser, I searched there as well. I don't really understand the OEM scrub radius part of the post.

Well, what happens when someone puts 18x8+35 on a 4th Gen. I know for sure it's in that thread. And the size you are considering has 8mm more poke and 4mm closer to the strut. Use the calculator linked above. Also, your tire size that you plan to run matters. If you stretch a 205 on there you'll probably be fine, if you try to stuff a 255 on that wheel, it'll be poking out all over the place.

Bigleben, I've looked there, too. Just wondering if anyways as experience with close to this size wheel. Don't want to drop $1,000+ for something non-viable.

GTeaser, I searched there as well. I don't really understand the OEM scrub radius part of the post.

You are not going to like this answer, but, read it until you understand or Google the terms you don't understand. You are getting ready to drop $1,000 plus on the setup. Figure out if it will work, it's your money.

1. How low are you? The lower you are the more chance something won't fit.

2. How willing are you to do fender work?

3. How willing are you to buy aftermarket control arms to get the fitment you want?

If you read all of the above and though that sounds hard and I don't want to research. Then just stick to the advise in the thread GT linked and buy wheels and tires that will fit without much work.

TL:DR. Yes it will fit. Probably have to 1-3 to get it to fit right though.

and because I am feeling generous, quoting the relevant parts for you

{offset in BOLD are the closest possible offset to OEM's scrub radius, you'll notice that once you go past 8" wide rims, you will run out of room on the inboard side to put/stuff any more of the wheel/tire to maintain the OEM scrub radius.. 8" and up will increase positive scrub radius}

and

8.0" (+43mm to +51mm offset, +53)

I was planning on 235/40. Also, I can't seem to find the 18x8+35 from that thread. The offset is what I'm worried about, it doesn't come in a different offset besides +35. If I'm not mistaken, lower offset pushes the wheel away from the strut correct? The thing I would need to worry about is fender clearance? I don't mind rolling and pulling I'm just making sure that will be enough.

I was planning on 235/40. Also, I can't seem to find the 18x8+35 from that thread. The offset is what I'm worried about, it doesn't come in a different offset besides +35. If I'm not mistaken, lower offset pushes the wheel away from the strut correct? The thing I would need to worry about is fender clearance? I don't mind rolling and pulling I'm just making sure that will be enough.

Go to willtheyfit.com

Enter the numbers for your stock tires Then enter what you want to run. Is the new set-up hitting your fenders?

Well, what happens when someone puts 18x8+35 on a 4th Gen. I know for sure it's in that thread. And the size you are considering has 8mm more poke and 4mm closer to the strut. Use the calculator linked above. Also, your tire size that you plan to run matters. If you stretch a 205 on there you'll probably be fine, if you try to stuff a 255 on that wheel, it'll be poking out all over the place.

That's what I was looking for! So it's going to be too wide with no camber and stretch which I don't want. I guess I'm going to have to find a lookalike or go down to 17s. My problem is this is my favorite wheel and I'm stubborn to look past it.

I am about to purchase Avid AV20 18x8.5 +33 for my 4th gen leggy.

1. Will they clear the springs on the inside? - no. assuming you are on stock suspension.

2. Will they be too wide for just rolling and slight pulling? - yes.

Been researching and can't find an answer with this specific size and offset. Thanks!

"Been researching and can't find an answer" Really?

If the seller is local, drive your car over to the seller's house, jack up one side of your car, remove both of your current wheels, mount the new wheels, lower the car down on the new wheels onto a 4x4 block of wood. Does it hit anything? If yes, reverse the process and drive away. If no, measure the clearance between rim and suspension, rim & fenders. Then jack up front, turn the wheels full left, lower, measure, jack up front, turn wheels full right, lower, measure. Did it hit anything? If yes, reverse the process and drive away. If no for all of that, then take all the measurements you got, goto willitfit.com and enter it on the calculator. You might have to visit the tire manufacturer website or tirerack.com to get the dimensions of the tire. Then you can match your measurements to the tire and see if it fits.

Keep in mind, these are all static measurements. Under load, tires move on the rim and the suspension has compliance so the tire/wheel combination move in the space. Putting weight in the car will also change how things work.

Next up is your wheels bearings. +33 offset will put more stress on your wheel bearings especially as you get into the wider widths. If you haven't shopped wheel bearings & the "how to replace" threads, its worth a read. You can call it research, too.

Having done all this, if you still think buying these wheels is better than sex, by all means continue. Otherwise, I'd suggest buying a wheel that more closely matches the suggested specs put together by XenonK (who did research fitment with laser scanners, 3d modeling, autox testing).

No one is saying it won't fit. They are asking how bad do you want it to fit. And how ugly do you want the result to be. 18x8 +48 is a nice wheel size and can hold up to 245 easily. Your car will ride well and you can keep most of the metal on the rim while parking.

Using 18x8.5 with 205's is just a bad look. Especially after a couple of rim strikes. Nothing says "I don't get it" like damaged rims. :eek:

"Been researching and can't find an answer" Really?

If the seller is local, drive your car over to the seller's house, jack up one side of your car, remove both of your current wheels, mount the new wheels, lower the car down on the new wheels onto a 4x4 block of wood. Does it hit anything? If yes, reverse the process and drive away. If no, measure the clearance between rim and suspension, rim & fenders. Then jack up front, turn the wheels full left, lower, measure, jack up front, turn wheels full right, lower, measure. Did it hit anything? If yes, reverse the process and drive away. If no for all of that, then take all the measurements you got, goto willitfit.com and enter it on the calculator. You might have to visit the tire manufacturer website or tirerack.com to get the dimensions of the tire. Then you can match your measurements to the tire and see if it fits.

Keep in mind, these are all static measurements. Under load, tires move on the rim and the suspension has compliance so the tire/wheel combination move in the space. Putting weight in the car will also change how things work.

Next up is your wheels bearings. +33 offset will put more stress on your wheel bearings especially as you get into the wider widths. If you haven't shopped wheel bearings & the "how to replace" threads, its worth a read. You can call it research, too.

Having done all this, if you still think buying these wheels is better than sex, by all means continue. Otherwise, I'd suggest buying a wheel that more closely matches the suggested specs put together by XenonK (who did research fitment with laser scanners, 3d modeling, autox testing).

No one is saying it won't fit. They are asking how bad do you want it to fit. And how ugly do you want the result to be. 18x8 +48 is a nice wheel size and can hold up to 245 easily. Your car will ride well and you can keep most of the metal on the rim while parking.

Using 18x8.5 with 205's is just a bad look. Especially after a couple of rim strikes. Nothing says "I don't get it" like damaged rims. :eek:

Lol I'd love to go to NL Motorings house and try on their wheels for "research." Thanks but no thanks for the reply.

Lol I'd love to go to NL Motorings house and try on their wheels for "research." Thanks but no thanks for the reply.

We're trying to help with real suggestions that will get you the results you want.

Please fill in your user info so we know what car you own, wagon or sedan, and where your are located. We can help you better that way.

Also, find some wheels with the same specs (or similar and just do the math on the differences) on your local Craigslist and ask the seller if you can fit them. He doesn't need to know that you don't want to buy the ones he has for sale.

Any competent shop will do this. Its part of their service, especially when selling $1000 of wheels. If they won't, buy your wheels on ebay and tell them why you did that. Brick and mortar businesses respond to pressure from internet options by increasing their customer service. Helping you get the exact fit for your car should be in their financial best interest. If not, perhaps you need to find a new shop to spend your hard-earned dollars with?

Also, there is a tool that tire/wheel shops have that lets you test wheel fit with a tire to be sure it actually works. My tire shop has one and we've used it with great success to get the exact tire/wheel combo that works on my wagon.

Again, shopping for a "full service" shop will give you the best options.

Here on the internet, where you've provided no information other than a non-conforming wheel and a generic description of your car's year and brand, we're doing the best we can. Feel free to be frustrated.

Any competent shop will do this. Its part of their service, especially when selling $1000 of wheels. If they won't, buy your wheels on ebay and tell them why you did that. Brick and mortar businesses respond to pressure from internet options by increasing their customer service. Helping you get the exact fit for your car should be in their financial best interest. If not, perhaps you need to find a new shop to spend your hard-earned dollars with?

Also, there is a tool that tire/wheel shops have that lets you test wheel fit with a tire to be sure it actually works. My tire shop has one and we've used it with great success to get the exact tire/wheel combo that works on my wagon.

Again, shopping for a "full service" shop will give you the best options.

Here on the internet, where you've provided no information other than a non-conforming wheel and a generic description of your car's year and brand, we're doing the best we can. Feel free to be frustrated.

Sorry, I was just frustrated after spending hours trying to find wheels that looked the same and would fit. My apologies, man.

GL with that. I'd suggest you post in the tire'wheel section where a couple of senior tire experts hang out. In particular, on XenonK's thread, if you read all 1000 pages, someone has already asked your question and its been answered.

As for me, I'm done guessing what you are driving and how it's setup. later.

Archived