LegacyGT.com

2014 2.5i trans swap

Okay gal's and guy's I am 90% sure this has been asked 100 times. Looking to go from an auto to a manual. Iny head it's straight forward. Trans,rear diff, ecu flash, pedal and all the bits and bobs. Has it been done and recorded on a forum that I over looked?

Don't say I should have bought a manual if it's what I wanted because that's in no way constructive to the topic.

I enjoy working on cars a lot and making thigs my own.

It's not a matter of what you should have done, its a matter of spending almost what your car is worth to transition from an auto to a manual. No matter what, at the end of the day your cars VIN is tied to what it was sold as and a swap like this, while interesting, doesn't in any way make financial sense. It would be much more feasible to start with a base model manual and then build up what you don't like, that would actually add value to the car not devalue it like a swap of this magnitude would. If you find a way to make it happen please add to our forum for others like you who are looking for what you are.

Hmm thanks for the response. It's a starting point for me. Car value is no so important to me as much as driving experience. I thought the CANbus would be the big road block. I thought about sending a email or calling Subaru for leads.

Sure, call the dealer and price out every electronic device on the CANbus network from the ABS computer to the HVAC unit. If that doesn't put you off ask a pro shop for a quote on modifying the wiring harness, swapping the pedal box and all that fun stuff.
Obligatory '[URL="http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/2008-gh8-238668.html?t=238668"]build thread[/URL]' Increased capacity to 2.7 liters, still turbo, but no longer need spark plugs.

Hmm thanks for the response. It's a starting point for me. Car value is no so important to me as much as driving experience. I thought the CANbus would be the big road block. I thought about sending a email or calling Subaru for leads.

The easiest way I can figure to complete this swap is to find a car of the same year with the manual transmission, then swap all the parts that pertain to the transmission/ecm/tcu. But then you would still be better off just swapping everything you like from your car now into an already manual car...:rolleyes:

If the dealer and SOA are going to be your resources you should just stop now while your ahead. I truly understand wanting to build something just for the sake of building it, I do. But reality is always much more gray than white or black. The reality is your car is not in any way shape or form rare or hard to replace, aside from it having your name on the title/registration. If you want to make it yours, changing one of the most integral components on it just isn't it. Wheels, seat covers, custom suspension, paint, emblems, tint, roof racks,...it goes on and on the mods we have seen here and helped with even when they made no sense to us (see carpenterltd with hood scoop) but changing from a cvt to manual for the sake of doing it is a mind boggling amount of work and money to end up with a car you could have just bought instead, which is essentially what you will be doing, is buying all the parts on the manual car and replacing your parts with them. It doesn't work any other way.

Very true. I can see it now the dealer trying to take notes on my car so if anything ever goes wrong they can just say well you talked about swapping the transmission and that's why you blew a head gasket.

It's really above and beyond the scope of dealer tech work. They diagnose and correct problems, they don't deal with customization.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

Archived