LegacyGT.com

Need help with rear fitment

Hi everyone,

Recently bought a set of 2005 STi BBS wheels off a buddy for a ridiculously low price, low enough for me to experiment with wheel adapters. I fitted a set of 235/45/17 Pilot Sport AS3+ tires to the wheels and mounted them to the car atop a set of 1" spacers to adapt the 5x113 wheels to my 5x100 hubs. I probably should have seen this coming, but my rear tires are rubbing really badly. I rolled my rear fenders, but there is still rub. There is some visible evidence on the rear tires where the fender has gashed the tires, so I'm staying off the road until I can figure out how to best address this. I've attached some pictures where you can see the gashing before the roll, and less visible gashing closer to the outside edge of the tire where it impacted the fender after the roll. I'm thinking that introducing negative camber in the rear might be the only way to address this without either trying to find thinner wheel adapters or switching out the wheels. I'm somewhat reluctant to go with the first option because I don't want to have to shorten the factory studs, or deal with waiting for the new part. I don't want to look for a new wheel/tire set because I like the way these look and feel and just dropped $1000+ on the wheels and brand new tires. How much negative camber does it look like I need in the rear to solve my clearance issues? Will the -1 degree from something like the Whiteline KCA399 bushings be sufficient? Or do I need to look at adjustable rear control arms? I know that that will certainly give me the capacity for more than enough camber, but those parts are expensive. Any advice is appreciated- I'm at a little bit of a loss on how to proceed, I'm in college and have already spent more than I probably should on this whole setup. I can do installs myself at least, as long as I don't need a floor press or anything.

Thanks!

20170121_154156.thumb.jpg.7503f5962253701980dd6428fb95779c.jpg

20170121_154214.thumb.jpg.af325e792cb9908a3aec611b2b157e0f.jpg

20170121_154353.thumb.jpg.cf066dd04055d53a605e3356b3ea2e4a.jpg

http://www.willtheyfit.com would have been a good starting point before spending > $1000. The XenonK tire & wheel thread in the technical section will help as well.

You pushed your wheels out 1 inch, when there is not 1 inch of clearance. Stiffer springs, saggy butt spacers, narrower tires, 5x100 wheels, radical negative camber, no back seat passengers, etc. You're looking at some expensive modifications to make this work. I'd sell the wheels and move on.

http://www.willtheyfit.com would have been a good starting point before spending > $1000. The XenonK tire & wheel thread in the technical section will help as well.

You pushed your wheels out 1 inch, when there is not 1 inch of clearance. Stiffer springs, saggy butt spacers, narrower tires, 5x100 wheels, radical negative camber, no back seat passengers, etc. You're looking at some expensive modifications to make this work. I'd sell the wheels and move on.

Nice - I didn't know about that website.

Yeah just sell or trade the wheels. Also it might just be me it looks like you weren't able to fold that sharp metal edge in when you rolled your fenders. That's why it's carving up the tires with such ease.

Plan better next time and don't make assumptions but don't ruminate over this either. Everyone makes mistakes. I've done my share if f***ing up car stuff. Just accept it and move on. It's not the end of the world!

Get some 11-14 WRX wheels (17x8+55, 5x100), plastidip them gold, and put your tires on them. Problem solved.

You can probably find some on your local Craigslist or local Subie FB group.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/2010-2014-Subaru-Impreza-WRX-17X8-15-Spoke-Wheel-Set-Rims-4-OEM-LKQ-/192063739983?hash=item2cb7e4184f:g:6wYAAOSwa~BYY2p5&vxp=mtr

Loom like you didn't use a fender roller. the crinkles in the fender can't be there. Also the roller can be used to pop the fender lip out to miss the tire edge. Expect an hour per fender with roller and heatgun to get it looking nice.

I'd still get rid of the wheels and buy 5x100. Or buy thinner spacers. Look in the vendor section for spacers.

+1 on the advice to sell them. 1" wheel spacers are not good for your hubs or your studs. I've seen wheels snap all their lugs on spacers more than once at autocross events. It's pretty ugly seeing a car going 40mph on the front brake disc.

The good news is there's a pretty strong demand for those wheels, you should have no problem selling them.

Nothing like a race track to find the weak points in man and machine.

"Good Judgement comes from Experience. Experience comes from Bad Judgement"

See if you can get 15mm conversion spacers and a decent fender roll & pull. It's probably your cheapest (and fastest) option right now.

https://www.rallysportdirect.com/part/wheel-spacers/kic-w5415w3wts-kics-15mm-5x100-to-5x114-3-conversion-spacer

Also keep in mind that most 15mm conversion spacers are not deep enough to cover the factory studs, so your wheel will need open pockets in the back, as shown below.

http://d3d71ba2asa5oz.cloudfront.net/12001428/images/holes%20back%20of%20wheel.jpg

Thanks for the input everyone. I'll sell the wheels and keep on the lookout for wheels with proper hub patterns. Don't think I'll be out too much $$ since I got the BBS wheels for such a low price. If anyone in the ATL area is interested in them or has 17x8 5x100 wheels for sale, let me know.

Thanks for the input everyone. I'll sell the wheels and keep on the lookout for wheels with proper hub patterns. Don't think I'll be out too much $$ since I got the BBS wheels for such a low price. If anyone in the ATL area is interested in them or has 17x8 5x100 wheels for sale, let me know.

lots of them here - http://legacygt.com/forums/forumdisplay.php/member-classifieds-wheels-and-tires-71.html

Archived