LegacyGT.com

Bone stock datalog boost levels

I've searched and I can't find if this is normal or what a normal datalog on a stock motor looks like. I datalogged for the first time ever today.

There is oily residue around the bpv and recirc hose. CEL is off and there are no codes/misfires. The car searches for idle sometimes but has never stalled. The idle searching is worse after the codes are cleared and the computer is reset. It usually happens when you push the clutch in, it searches then straightens right out.

At 4162 rpm the boost is 10.10 psi and by 6415 rpm it is 8.79. There's so much information on here it gets confusing.

I did two pulls, apparently I don't have a great usb dongle because it isn't as fast as it should be but this is all new to me.

I'm going to get an v3ap and start modding after all the maintenance is done. I already had the torque pro app and a BAFX dongle. I just read about doing the simple test by blowing in the vacuum hose on the bpv and plugging off the intake, i'll do it soon.

datalog1.thumb.png.9cc222ca67da070f246e47f650ea2372.png

datalog.thumb.png.2d8fde3e2d115464b2371dfe7e754493.png

When you clear the codes ECU gets reset, everytime ECU is reset it clears all of the self learning that it does, timing fuel, this includes optimal idle setting too. This means car will idle and drive like crap until it relearns everything.

Stock turbo runs out of breath real quickly, boost will drop off as you get higher in the RPM's. I too saw 10-11psi max on stock setup, even though all brochures say 13.5psi max, Subaru must have tested the car in freezing temps to get that high of boost on stock setup haha.

05 LGT 16G 14psi 290whp/30mpg (SOLD)

12 OBP Stock 130whp/27mpg@87 Oct

00 G20t GT28r 10psi 250whp/36mpg

22 Ascent STOCK

Thank you, I just assumed it was the usb dongle not reacting fast enough to get an accurate reading thus invalidating the results. It was probably thirty degrees out

This is all very new to me and I have a tremendous amount to learn. One thing i've learned in the past is maintenance first. I truly hope the smoke I see upon initial startup isn't cracked ring lands. It's used maybe a half quart in 3k miles with 170k on the clock, so i'm staying positive. This is one of the nicest cars i've ever had and I haven't even had it two months. It uses less oil than non turbo subarus with similar mileage i've encountered so I should be ok.

My altitude is 500ft asl. It was probably 20-30 degrees out. The only place I could do it was down hill that day that's why both were down hill.

I'll post another, for now i'm not driving it until I get rid of the uppipe cat and egt sensor. Waiting on gaskets, studs, nuts and resistors; already have an sti uppipe.

Subaru must have tested the car in freezing temps to get that high of boost on stock setup haha.

Temps as low as 20-30 F will usually result in lower boost, closer to sea level will help with that too. The car will feel more powerful though, if that's what you're getting at. I see my 17 psi tune drop as low as 15.5 max in the winter on the coast. It's a by-product of the environment paired with ecu trying to compensate for the change in conditions.

My turbocharger is shot. There is about a quarter inch of axial and side to side play.

I wonder where the rest of the fin material from the compressor side went? It seems some folded over rather than got shaved off like the exhaust side.

I've had this car a month and a half, I removed the banjo filter when I got it and it looked horrible in the light.

1396003581_20170129_1540561.thumb.jpg.9cf236dd477831a1e981335efb528492.jpg

261836773_20170129_1538241.thumb.jpg.68770203f060c6dde9a711ee05ad66f3.jpg

Temps as low as 20-30 F will usually result in lower boost, closer to sea level will help with that too. The car will feel more powerful though, if that's what you're getting at. I see my 17 psi tune drop as low as 15.5 max in the winter on the coast. It's a by-product of the environment paired with ecu trying to compensate for the change in conditions.

That's actually mostly because the ECU starts pulling wastegate duty cycles (read reduces boost) as it gets colder.

http://legacygt.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=244229&stc=1&d=1485831992

Overboosting in the cold is a very common occurrence... https://www.google.com/search?site=&source=hp&q=overboosting+in+cold+weather&oq=overboosting+in+the+cold

05LGT_IAT_WGDC.PNG.0dbd340b01f5f2bd1d21f3e80a2f1bbd.PNG

05 LGT 16G 14psi 290whp/30mpg (SOLD)

12 OBP Stock 130whp/27mpg@87 Oct

00 G20t GT28r 10psi 250whp/36mpg

22 Ascent STOCK

That's actually mostly because the ECU starts pulling wastegate duty cycles (read reduces boost) as it gets colder.

http://legacygt.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=244229&stc=1&d=1485831992

Overboosting in the cold is a very common occurrence... https://www.google.com/search?site=&source=hp&q=overboosting+in+cold+weather&oq=overboosting+in+the+cold

Yep, I've plugged that into google once or twice. Perhaps it's a more common occurence relating to other factors/failing parts in the cold weather? There are also plenty of threads on underboosting in the cold - fwiw. I haven't really nailed it down yet so that's where the curiosity stems from.

guess it turned out to be a burnt out stock turbo.

I realize I should start a new thread, but i'm probably going to buy a vf52 on thursday and run the stock pill with no tune. My intake boot was torn slightly for some reason where the hose clamp attaches to the turbo and oil was leaking out of it.

Idk if worn motor mounts caused it? I'm going to have to change the intake elbow and change all the vacuum lines under the manifold, pcv, etc. They are all dry and stiff.

Archived