LegacyGT.com

Dreaded fuel tank vent problem, won't take gas.

So yeah, 2000 legacy gt, 140,000 mi., good shape.

Suddenly one day a few months the back, around 136k it stopped taking fuel. I have to trickle it in. Fuel pump kicks off and fuel sprays back out if you don't trickle. You can trickle for like 40 cents and still clicks off. .

As far as what caused it I don't know... It started in early fall with wild fluctuating midwest Temps. the car was sitting a little more than normal, not more than a day or two.. I've ran tank pretty low a few times, or quite often maybe to E.. Also around this time I had seafoamed the tank. I remember the funnel got stuck on filler flap while pulling out. That's all I can come up with around the time it started. Fuel pump was replaced 2 years ago.

I have searched for months and haven't reached a solution. I have checked all the vent lines for restriction, unplugged the canister, then big line right at the vent valve and still doesn't take gas. Checked filler neck evap lines, no restriction, filler neck tube is still solid.

Tried running air into the filler neck, small amount of air out came out the vent lines, clearly not enough. Eventually heard a valve close or ball push up when the tank was full of air. From what I've read this testing doesn't really work well on this system... After that circus it takes fuel a little bit better and i can go to first click on the pump nozzle for a dollar or so before it shuts off. Still way to slow in winter.

Thought maybe the flap messed up the shut valve somehow and that was the problem. Pinched off one of the shut valve lines on the filler neck, which should replicate the shut valve function.?.. still the same slow filling.

I guess next is to pull the filler neck off and check for obstructions.. Also see if there is a stuck fuel filler valve where the neck goes into the tank. People have mentioned sticking a rod in to free it up.

If it's the tank vent valve itself, I may find a way to do it without dropping the tank completely.

Any help troubleshooting and solving this would be greatly appreciated!

Jeremy

Eventually heard a valve close or ball push up when the tank was full of air.. After that circus it takes fuel a little better and i can go to first click on the pump nozzle for a dollar or two before it shuts off.

i think you are on the right track here my old s10 had a ball in the filler neck so when you rolled it it would stop gas from pissin everywhere. i'm not sure about these cars but there could be something similar that is stuck in the filler neck but i think you are just gonna have to pull it.

Archived