LegacyGT.com

Legacy 3.0R Spec B touring Wagon, KMs too high?

no such thing as too many miles, look out for neglected maintenance. here are a couple relevant threads to help you out:

Who has the most miles on their LGT, and how are they holding up? - Vol-2

http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/has-most-miles-their-lgt-and-they-holding-upi-vol-200435.html

High Mileage LGT i am looking at

legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/high-mileage-lgt-am-looking-168687.html

There are a ton of relevant threads that come up with a google search of "legacygt high mileage" or variations of those key words.

PROOF of previous maintenance is KEY. pre purchase inspection is HIGHLY important, including a compression/leakdown test.

A Subaru can do 400,000 km if well maintained, maybe more. The "well maintained" part is extremely important and you need to find that out before you buy any used car, especially a Subaru. So, if you really want this car, find someone knowledgeable and trustworthy to inspect it.

The 3.6 is a good engine but be prepared for very expensive repairs if it should go wrong. The car will be expensive to run, so you should expect that going in.

A Toyota Corolla can tolerate neglect and abuse far better than a Subaru. Subarus are solid cars, but if they are neglected, trouble is likely, it is just a matter of time. Don't pay for a previous owner's neglect.

The forums are full of horror shows where people bought without inspection and found the previous owner modified their cars to Hell, flogged them and then put everything back to stock just in time before everything blew up. Only a slight exaggeration.

Not to scare you away, but if things to go wrong, it can be expensive to repair. So, you just have to be cautious.

PS An H-6 model is less likely to have been abused than a turbo model. You ideally want a car that has one previous owner, who was a mature adult that drove mostly highway miles.

As some examples of neglect:

- oil was not changed frequently enough

- oil was allowed to run very low

- coolant was not changed frequently enough

- car was seriously overheated

- blowing a tire and replacing only one of them, as an all-wheel-drive car, the Subaru requires that tires be close to the same size all round

You can be certain it would be much cheaper to replace/rebuild a Corolla engine than an H-6 Subaru engine. All wheel drive transmissions are much more expensive than what the Corolla has. And so on...

Wonderful cars, BUT you have to watch out.

Thank you, yes I see your point.

I love AWD :-(. I love H6.

Id never buy a turbo. My last 2.5l legacy blew its radiator, drove 50km on hot, replaced Rad end, new valve in the bottom of rad (the thing that opens up when warm) and wholah, no head gasket blown.

But when we bought that one, they had it serviced by Subaru since imported, was a 96.

Thats what scares me about imports, I dont know their history. But 99% of them here in NZ are imports.

Archived