LegacyGT.com

"park switch"?

Hey guys,

My car will occasionally not start right away (lights work, no click, no turn over and I can hear a slight whine noise). Usually I can fix this by jiggling the gear selector. I am assuming the switch to identify myself as being in park is bad or dirty- does this sound correct? If so, does anyone know the correct name for this item? I've been looking on subarupartsforyou for it but get either the neutral switch for the manual or a bunch of other items.

This could be the 'shift interlock switch' - assuming you're dealing w/an AUTOMATIC trans.

but search online for other causes. Have you tried the 'shift override' button to see if that allows it to start? See the owner's manual/search if not familiar.

The problem could be the safety inhibitor switch. It's not detecting the vehicle is in park or neutral. The inhibitor switch is on the side of the transmission where the shift linkage connects to the transmission. You can bypass it temporarily to test but you won't want to permanently bypass it as you'll lose other system functions (i.e Cruise control). This is a fairly common issue on the AT, especially in the 1st gens and older second gens. It is also a common reason people lose cruise control.

Here is what it looks like:

http://www.subaruoutback.org/forums/attachments/problems-maintenance/19552d1303296496-neutral-safety-switch-automatic-trans-inhibitor-switch.jpg

If jiggling things makes it work I would go with that switch needing adjusting/replacing. I bet you could do without that ST 499267300 by using the chuck end of a correct size drill bit to pin it. Of course, it could be a corroded connector as well, but probably not with the jiggle fixing it.

Archived