LegacyGT.com

All-New 250-Horsepower Legacy(R) 2.5 GT for 2005

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply
who do yall think will buy this car?? like age group i'm 18 right now i work during week days and i have detailing buisness during weekend i have 15G in my bank account to put down as a "downpayments" when car comes out...and i'm gettin a GT sedan 8) and monthlypayment will be payed by me every month :) i think teenagers and 20~28 will buy this car if they have $$$$$ to buy it but what age group is subaru targeting at??

Perrin BIG maf intake

Perrin Turbo Inlet

HKS SSQV BOV

Megan Racing header with UP (ceramic coated)

HKS DP (WRX)

DMH E-cutout

Custom 3" catback

UTEC

I seriously don't think that this will be a car that will appeal to the average teenager. It doesn't have that fast and furious appeal that I think a lot of younger people like. It's more of a refined sleeper that could blow the doors off most cars from a light. fyi I am 27.

I can tell you that a lot of IS300 and Acura TL (older TL...not the "04" model) owners are paying attention to this car. The FWD and even the RWD crowd are starting to "get it" for the benefits of an AWD performance sedan (S60 AWD, G35 AWD, A4 QT, 330ix, etc...). With the new 05 Legacy GT, I feel that Subaru will grab a large market share right off the bat with this cars introduction. The European car owners will take some time to cross over to a Japanese designed (exterior) car...stubborn as heck they are (SAAB, Volvo, Audi, and Bemmer forums continual anti-Japanese car comments). In the end, I feel the total package that Subaru will bring with the new Legacy at an amazing price (compared to overpriced euro cars), will pierce into the market share of some of the European car manufactures. The current Lexus/Acura crowd will come over in large numbers right at the onset IMO...they already know the Japanese product and they trust it. There is a large number of 2, 3, and 4 year old cars from Lexus/Acura owners (IS300/TL/CL), who are out checking what is available to them at this time...many are talking about the new Legacy as a front runner for a replacement. My opinion is that Subaru is now standing at the plate, about to smack a HOMER!

[quote name='"team23jordan"']who do yall think will buy this car?? like age group i'm 18 right now i work during week days and i have detailing buisness during weekend i have 15G in my bank account to put down as a "downpayments" when car comes out...and i'm gettin a GT sedan 8) and monthlypayment will be payed by me every month :) i think teenagers and 20~28 will buy this car if they have $$$$$ to buy it but what age group is subaru targeting at??[/quote] Hey, Dr. Zevil. Not quite EVERY suspension combination, but too many for a lad with air tools and too much free time, that's for sure... I don't think that Subaru is as much targeting the Legacy at any specific marketing niche as much as they are hoping that people will come to the car. I do think they want "conquest" sales, that is, people who used to support other marques, or were considering other marques. We Subaru devotees know how good the cars are. But this Legacy might be the first car that actually convinces the general public. If you think about it, the WRX was an excellent value, but not really ready for prime-time, as in being an adult car, as much as people might quibble about that. Ditto for the STi. The Legacy, however, is great-looking, refined, as luxe as it needs to be, light, and fast. It should make for a great driving package that, if people can get over their fear of turbo cars ("Don't those things blow up?"), should do awfully, awfully well. The other strength in the Legacy's favor is standard equipment. In perusing the list, about the only thing I could think of that wasn't standard was a compass mirror and bumper cover for the wagon. This mimics the experience of my '98 GT (hence the screen name), which came fully equipped with everything, including sunroof. I didn't have to choose a single option. The impressive list of standard features, combined with what should be around $27K for the GT, means it should be a winner. Kevin

[quote name='EJ20H-TT']With the Sti a similar price i suspect the younger buyers would prefer a WRC-like racer than a sleeper.[/quote] What is interesting is reality. Not to point out your post above out of any of the the other posts with the same wierd logic, but I know a lot of people both personally/autocrossing/rallycrossing/club rally/prorally who drive their STi's and Evo's every single day. The ages of these people range from 26-50. The CEO of an electric cooperative north of my city, who is a member of the sports car club (SCCA) in my city, drives his STi everywhere and he loves it. He is in his early 50's. The president of the sports car club here in my city is in his late 50's and every day drives a striking blue Honda Civic EX VTEC and he loves it, Age has nothing to do with a vehicle's appeal. It is truly 100% personality types. That's reality. Just the other day, the WRX goes flying past me and is driving agressively through town, so I proceed to follow. After a couple of miles, the WRX turns off into a driveway. As I drive by, what do I see??? A whitehair!!!!!!!!!!!!! Cheers.

Hey Zevil and Kevin! I've been growing increasingly sick of all the complainin' on NASIOC as well. I really appreciated reading your level headed posts. This is looking like a great site for us Legacy folks. On the pricing front I'm going with somewhere between $27k and $29k. BTW I'm 32 and I can't wait for my silver wagon! -Ian

No need to quote the specific comments above, but no car is ever produced without the marketing department having a specific target in mind. If you have not been educated in marketing, you may disagree, but you are wrong. :P However, I'll first give a few examples where the intended audience ended up being different than the actual buyers. The two that come to mind are the Baja and the Honda Element. Both wanted to target younger buyers and especially active lifestyles like surfers. I continually see ads for both in surfing magazines yet I don't ever hear of a surfer driving one (though the Element is much more fitting). The actual buyers of both have been older than expected as I believe that the median (50th percentile) age between 45-50. That's probably about 15 years older than they intended. The Legacy will definitely be targeting an older age group than what the WRX will be, but that doesn't mean that younger people won't snatch it up. I'm sure that the Forester XT was intended to snatch sales away from the WRX wagon and get 20-something males to buy one, but it is happening to an extent. With getting a performance edge to the Legacy, I'm sure that Subaru is trying to lower the average age of their customer base. Getting sporty will lower while going more comfy/luxury/$$ will increase that age. I'm going to take a stab in the dark and guess that the median age of the Legacy is about 45, and I think that they are probably going to be targeting a 35-40 as the new median age. Though MSRP dependent, my guess is that with its better performance, the Legacy is going to really steal the thunder from the Impreza and attract a lot of younger buyers than normally intended over the next couple of years so this may be skewed to the downward side in these next couple of years. Once the Impreza is redesigned, loses weight, and becomes faster than the Legacy, youngsters (under 30) will go back to majority "support" of the Impreza. Also keep in mind that those of us on these boards are not indicative of the normal owner. We're freaks! Outliers from the norm. For a more but not totally accurate Subaru owner profile, go to edmunds.com to their subaru forum. There seems to be this common misconception that the Evo and STi are targeted at young people. In reality, the percentage of people under 25 especially who can truly afford a $30,000 car is very small. Yes, it attracts the very young because they are used to seeing it in WRC and Gran Tourismo. Mitsubishi tried focusing their attention on selling new cars to young people, and now they have to pull out of US motorsports and focus on recouping their millions and millions of bad debt from youngsters who got in over their heads. I think the number of over-35 STi/Evo owners would surprise many.

Perhaps it would be better put that youngsters aspire to own an Sti. They may actually buy RS or WRX instead. It also helps hold the value of secondhand cars too. I see the older Impreza owner as a natural buyer of the legacy a larger more refined vehicle.

• 3 years later...

Archived