LegacyGT.com

"Traffic Jam Ahead"

I live in a heavily populated area where traffic congestion is the norm. When using navigation (2017 2.5i) the "Traffic Jam Head" audio warning repeats itself. Especially troublesome hearing this when you're already stuck in a jam.

Is there a way to disable this warning without shutting off nav? I sure hope so.

If I disable XM Traffic then I lose ability to see live traffic. Guess I can't have it both ways. Still telling someone they're in a traffic jam when they're in the jam is poor design.

It's telling you that the traffic won't clear up for long distance ahead and is keeping you safe from the false hope. Nothing hurts more than a false hope.

If I disable XM Traffic then I lose ability to see live traffic. Guess I can't have it both ways. Still telling someone they're in a traffic jam when they're in the jam is poor design.

It doesn't know you're necessarily in the traffic jam, all it knows is there's one ahead based on data from traffic flow sensors. The sensors only detect the slow moving traffic at their specific location, they can't detect how far out traffic is backed up. So you could be in free flowing traffic coming up on a jam or already part of the gridlock, the system unfortunately doesn't know the difference as it just reports what XM sends out.

Could you lower or mute the volume, and still get live traffic updates on the map? On my Grand Cherokee I just lower the volume, the visual alone is all I really need from navi. Dealing with the Cross Bronx Expressway regularly I think my system would overload with the amount of traffic I deal with it!

Your solution makes perfect sense. However the "Traffic Jam Ahead" warning begins on the Queens side of the bridges when approaching the XBronx from Long Island. This is a quirk of XM Traffic. Other "live" traffic services I've used are better designed. I hope it's easy to toggle between traffic alerts and radio volume.

Sirus can be confusing. I don't pay for that and I still get it!

Do you get "traffic jam ahead" called out? Or just the option for a detour? Even without nav traffic the GPS will offer a reroute option when a traffic jam is suspected based on slow speeds on a highway.

I am getting the latter. It is usually too late to make a difference. Still I guess it is a good feature if it's for free.

That's not XM traffic, that's the nav's built in detour feature that activates based on slow travel speeds on a highway. It offers an alternate route to possibly avoid the traffic. It is not proactive in warning of traffic ahead because it has nothing to do with XM traffic. It merely sees you're going slow and assumes it's a traffic jam.

That's not XM traffic, that's the nav's built in detour feature that activates based on slow travel speeds on a highway. It offers an alternate route to possibly avoid the traffic. It is not proactive in warning of traffic ahead because it has nothing to do with XM traffic. It merely sees you're going slow and assumes it's a traffic jam.

In some areas traffic information is also transmitted on the station information channel (RDS information) on the FM broadcast stations. So it's possible that the navigation system picks that up. At least my Garmin GPS do that here - and that's a Garmin purchased in North America. It's called TMC ( Traffic Message Channel ), so you may not need to have a XM radio subscription.

Not all stations transmits it though.

453747.png

In some areas traffic information is also transmitted on the station information channel (RDS information) on the FM broadcast stations. So it's possible that the navigation system picks that up. At least my Garmin GPS do that here - and that's a Garmin purchased in North America. It's called TMC ( Traffic Message Channel ), so you may not need to have a XM radio subscription.

Not all stations transmits it though.

I don't recall reading anything about our nav utilizing that but it could.

Only information I can find about Subaru supporting this in the US is on older models with the dockable TomTom unit.

Archived