LegacyGT.com

Oil change question

Recently changed the oil in my 2001 legacy L wagon, and when I went to refill the oil I swear I only put a quart or 2 in there and it was reading full and has been ever since... Any idea why this would be? Any reason for concern?

(I tried looking everywhere about this but have only seen people ask about everything except this, regarding oil changes)

many thanks!

I didn't measure it exactly, but now that you ask I'd say it'd have to be a similar amount that I put it. Don't cars usually need 4 quarts or so? I imagine there's smaller engines out there needing less, but I figured a Subaru wagon would be around the average of 4~

But I guess if you put back what you take out, no worries? Just seemed weird to add so little

1st; be sure that your fully seating the dipstick. 2nd; check your dipstick & tube, maybe there's something interfering with full insertion, or your stick is too short.... (I hate that :rolleyes:) If the oil, (not full syn), was cold, it can take longer to drain into the pan. Subes are quirky when it comes to checking oil. FYI; for non oil change checks, it's usually best to check fill level when cold or has been off for at least 15 min or so.

Archived