LegacyGT.com

P0028 code resolved

My car is an 06 Legacy 2.5. I was getting an intermittent P0028 left bank VVT solenoid code. After searching this forum and watching several u-tube videos, I first cleaned all electrical contacts to the solenoid and the oil pressure switch. I also checked the oil level (which was fine) and replaced the pvc valve (which was totally clogged). I then replaced the oil pressure switch. The code nontheless came back intermittently. I decided to remove and inspect the solenoid. After wrestling with what I believe is some kind of hall sensor bracket to get access to the solenoid bolt, I was able to remove the solenoid. I cleaned it with brake clean and tested it with a 9v battery. While watching it click and move I noticed that a tiny screen had come loose from somewhere and was impeding movement of the little piston. A picture of the now removed culprit is attached. All back together now and code is gone. Happy Holidays.

IMG_1729.thumb.jpg.f78c3ebf01d3f0dbda226a6355e50019.jpg

• 7 months later...

http://txautonet.com/wp-content/uploads/parser/Subaru-Impreza-2.5-2005-7.jpg

In this picture, the solenoid is attached to the blue connector, the oil pressure switch is attached to the white connector. The same is true for the other side of the engine, except the solenoid is in the rear, not front of the engine.

The PCV valve is on top of the engine behind and underneath the coil (black box to which the spark plug wires are connected). It is hard to see without removing a couple of the spark plug wires. And, you will probably break the hose when pulling it off, so be prepared to buy a $12 hose as well.

I hope this helps - I don't have access to the car right now.

Good luck

• 3 months later...

11 months later, and I get a CEL which reveals a P0026 code (the same problem except on the other side of engine). Without even looking at it, I ordered a replacement for what I believe was the original oil pressure switch. Just to be sure, I pulled the solenoid (which is easier on the passenger side) and found the same little screen fragment impeding internal movement. After re-installing the solenoid (sans the screen fragment), replacing the oil pressure switch and cleaning all electrical contacts, the CEL is gone.

Does anyone know the source of these screen fragments? Did they detach from the solenoid or originate somewhere else?

Thanks and Happy Friday

• 2 months later...
11 months later, and I get a CEL which reveals a P0026 code (the same problem except on the other side of engine). Without even looking at it, I ordered a replacement for what I believe was the original oil pressure switch. Just to be sure, I pulled the solenoid (which is easier on the passenger side) and found the same little screen fragment impeding internal movement. After re-installing the solenoid (sans the screen fragment), replacing the oil pressure switch and cleaning all electrical contacts, the CEL is gone.

Does anyone know the source of these screen fragments? Did they detach from the solenoid or originate somewhere else?

Thanks and Happy Friday

If you take apart the solenoid housing there is a small plastic holder that the screen attaches to. I think it's to catch any crap from the oil. In this video the guy takes it apart and cleans it out. It looks like yours have come apart though so you may want to replace them. Not sure if you can buy the little screens or have to order a whole housing.

• 1 month later...
I am dealing with this issue now and I just made an order at Advance Auto for two VVT Solenoids @ $110 a piece (kill me now) but I haven't cleaned out the solenoid or checked the screen so I may be doing that and cancelling the order. I just have a question about how you got the Driver's Side VVT Solenoid out. The bolt holding it in has absolutely no room to get to the bolt. Did you have to remove any parts of the engine?

It is hard to tell from this picture: http://txautonet.com/wp-content/uploads/parser/Subaru-Impreza-2.5-2005-7.jpg, but on the driver's side, there is a sensor (black connector in picture) mounted on a bracket which interferes with access to the solenoid bolt. You need to remove the bracket which holds that (black connector) sensor (a bit of penetrating fluid and a slight tap on the bracket with a hammer using a long screw driver did the trick for me). If I recall correctly, that sensor has one bolt and sits on a locator pin - removal requires that it be wiggled out toward the front of the car. I hope this helps. Let me know how you make out.

Archived