LegacyGT.com

Specifc Questions Seeking specific answers.

Hello, This is my first post. I have been waiting quite along time to ask a question here since i didn't want to be another one of "those guys". i have done quite a bit of research in regards to all makes and models of Subarus.

Obviously no one likes the low amount of power in the 2.5i. i purchased my 08 legacy Se not wanting performance just in search of a reliable car and she def is that.

I have quite a bit of work done to her at the moment, way more than necessary, so trading her in would be a huge loss and selling here as a private party would be as well. plus she has done me right, unlike most woman lol.

Now rebuilding the 2.5i is possible there are parts out there if you look hard enough, but its just not worth it. the low reliability plus the fact that the ej253 will never put out power like a ej255, 57 etc.

My machinic is a pro, however he usually only builds American cars and some European. so he is wary about some issues. i got my hands on a complete jdm ej20tt engine. very cheap still bubble wrapped with auto transmission. my buddy "Vec" basically told me with New Yorks shitty inspection and emission guidelines, plus the fact that since it would have to be converted to left-hand drive (which is hard because of the double turbo) it just wouldn't be realistic or cost effective.

Now i have decide go the ej205 route form a 05 wrx. the cost is right and the amount of power i can get it is perfect.

Now my questions;

Since my car is 08 and the engine would be 05 would that be a problem in regards to emissions? they are both obd2 so i couldn't see a problem with the swap but my mechanic is unsure. he's looking into it but its a busy holiday season, and i want to get the complete engine plus harness and transmission, or the front clip asap, so it can be done by summer.

i hate automatic since my Subaru is one of 3 of my vehicles, at the time it just made sense to have at least one car auto. i regret that decision. when i do swap regardless of engine i pick if i get the manual transmission and oem clutch when the swap is being performed will it be a huge hassle? I've witnessed a fox body mustang auto to manual swap, which took not even an hour. why would this be an issue in my car?

FAQ

No i do not want to sell my car and get a wrx/gt.

i have completely rebuild my suspension so it could handle quite a bit of power.

i have 05 wrx aftermarket turbo back exhaust plus am a great welder so that is not an issue.

wiring harness will suck but i am a licensed electrician, so with the help of Vec will not be an issue

THANKS

1. You are in for a lot of work.

2. Do your own research for engine swaps in your state. In California you can only swap in same model year or newer. And it has to be CARB approved.

3. Your mechanic is right it's a lot of work.

4. Your ECU has no idea how to handle this engine / turbo. You should have bought the engine harness and ECU to go with the engine.

5. Your mechanic is right.

6. Another member paid 6k to swap from automatic to manual.

7. Your buddy Vec told you not to do it. So listen to him.

8. Remove your mods. Sell your car stock. Buy an LGT or WRX and start with a platform made for what you want. You won't win any points turning your car to an LGT and no one will want to pay LGT money for a converted 2.5i.

9. Have fun ignoring all the advice you get from this board, your mechanic, and your buddy Vec, and blindly charging ahead. Looking forward to the end result.

10. Look up the mighty car mods super gramps build. While yours isn't as cool it is very similar and you will need a of the same things (custom harness and stand alone ECU)

No i do not want to sell my car and get a wrx/gt.

You sure? You'd likely save a lot of time and effort.

i have completely rebuild my suspension so it could handle quite a bit of power.

All of which I'm sure can come off and be put on a used LGT.

i have 05 wrx aftermarket turbo back exhaust plus am a great welder so that is not an issue.

Doubt that'll fit without some serious work, at which point you might as well have sourced the exhaust from a Legacy

wiring harness will suck but i am a licensed electrician, so with the help of Vec will not be an issue

Yes it will suck. You'll need the EJ205 ECU as well.

Honestly dude, swapping the engine is one thing I could maybe see the argument for but you want to do a manual conversion as well? I promise you'll save yourself a lot of money and headache starting over with a manual LGT. What you're proposing is technically do-able and I wish you the best of luck, but you're in for a lot of work that could have been avoided by starting with a different platform.

Archived