LegacyGT.com

Rotomaster vs XSPower Turbo comparison because why not

From my non subaru car experiences...

The china turbos are fine, AFTER you spend the $$ for a name brand rebuild kit and have them balanced. Otherwise the bushings ware out and fail rather quickly and cause more issues.

I am trying to be careful with it and drive it humanely... that said, i don't think i am keeping the car much longer... this thing is turning out to be more trouble than some audi's i've had and i had B5 S4 :spin:... this constant leaking because of crappy oem clamps, oil starvation issues, whiney 2nd gear, heater blows hotter out of driver side than passenger, shitty MPG for relatively light 4 cyl car, granted it deserves a 6spd not a 5... feels like ill be dealing with a patient on life support and have to keep throwing money at it...this isnt my first used car and not nearly the highest mileage but its been so far the biggest disappointment .

2nd gear and your mirror have a lot in common. Get rid of the car, this is all stuff you should have known before buying.

hahaha :lol: just venting... there are quirks of car you just discover only once you own it, that said, you won't believe the amount of paperwork this car has for the service history, the PO was meticulous

I'm just bitter because I came to this thread for a "comparison because why not" to find out you found a reason to "not".

Is this your first Subaru? I had those same complaints about my first Subaru, a 94 impreza. I've grown into them I guess, since they're just information now. "Leaks oil?" Yep, check it. "2nd gear is loud!" It's just letting you know that it hasn't exploded yet. "22MPG?!" Even less when you're doing donuts the snow!

@05redLGT, it's funny you mention VAG cars, prior to my GT I owned a B5 Passat 1.8T. I had way more trouble working on that thing and fixing it, and it had way less power after the same mods I've done to the GT. The 1.8T went through 3 turbos and a new CHRA within 50k miles of each other, and ironically enough for this thread, one was an eBay turbo. That thing turned into a vacuum cleaner within 4000 miles. Made great boost until it died. Those old K03-005/K03-023 turbos are horrendous hairdryers. I can't believe people complain about the VF40/46.

I researched the bollocks out of these cars before I bought one, probably for a good 4-5 months. As soon as I bought mine, I did all of the preventative maintenance and got rid of most, if not all of the weak points. (Off the stock map, banjo bolt filter, catless up pipe, synthetic oil, Moog wheel bearings, among other things)

Haven't had any major issues that were the car's fault other than an axle. The thing doesn't even use oil, which I find incredible considering how notorious these cars are for gobbling it up.

TL;DR: I love these things like aged cheddar.

• 3 weeks later...
@05redLGT, it's funny you mention VAG cars, prior to my GT I owned a B5 Passat 1.8T. I had way more trouble working on that thing and fixing it, and it had way less power after the same mods I've done to the GT. The 1.8T went through 3 turbos and a new CHRA within 50k miles of each other, and ironically enough for this thread, one was an eBay turbo. That thing turned into a vacuum cleaner within 4000 miles. Made great boost until it died. Those old K03-005/K03-023 turbos are horrendous hairdryers. I can't believe people complain about the VF40/46.

I researched the bollocks out of these cars before I bought one, probably for a good 4-5 months. As soon as I bought mine, I did all of the preventative maintenance and got rid of most, if not all of the weak points. (Off the stock map, banjo bolt filter, catless up pipe, synthetic oil, Moog wheel bearings, among other things)

Haven't had any major issues that were the car's fault other than an axle. The thing doesn't even use oil, which I find incredible considering how notorious these cars are for gobbling it up.

TL;DR: I love these things like aged cheddar.

i guess i wound up with a crappy one then, that said, now ive put about 1,500 miles on the new turbo and it is working very well. MPG is still same, doesnt seem like it is running rich or lean. O, and it doesn't seem to eat oil as much.. this leads me to believe that the original IHI VF40 had a bad seal where oil was seeping out of and caused the final demise. As far as the oil control valve, no idea why that broke too:confused:

Archived